1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Half charged spherical shell

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys.
    I got this question:
    "Calculate the electric field of half a spherical shell with radius R and uniform surface charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] along its axis of symmetry above the shell."
    I guess I shell use Gauss law, the thing is that the Gauss surface will not be closed above the half spherical shell so I though about calculating the electric field for a full spherical shell and then divide it by 2 to get the electric field above the upper half spherical shell.
    What do you say? is that the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.

From the statement I take it that the points along the axis make the charges look like concentric rings spaced at a distance according to their spherical geometry away from whatever point you are at. Like looking down at a salad bowl turned face down?

4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    Yeah, it's like a salad bowl turned face down :smile:
    I need to find a closed Gauss surface that will contain this "bowl" and I can't think of one.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you mean by "If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.".

Thanks a lot.

5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I was simply referring to your notion that you would take the integral of a whole sphere and then take away the mirror of the salad bowl.

6. Jan 27, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?