Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Half charged spherical shell

1. Jan 27, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hey guys.
    I got this question:
    "Calculate the electric field of half a spherical shell with radius R and uniform surface charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex] along its axis of symmetry above the shell."
    I guess I shell use Gauss law, the thing is that the Gauss surface will not be closed above the half spherical shell so I though about calculating the electric field for a full spherical shell and then divide it by 2 to get the electric field above the upper half spherical shell.
    What do you say? is that the way to go?

Thanks in advance.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2009 #2

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.

From the statement I take it that the points along the axis make the charges look like concentric rings spaced at a distance according to their spherical geometry away from whatever point you are at. Like looking down at a salad bowl turned face down?

4. Jan 27, 2009 #3
    Yeah, it's like a salad bowl turned face down :smile:
    I need to find a closed Gauss surface that will contain this "bowl" and I can't think of one.

I'm sorry, I didn't understand what you mean by "If you're talking about losing the half away from the side that is charged, I'd think not.".

Thanks a lot.

5. Jan 27, 2009 #4

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

I was simply referring to your notion that you would take the integral of a whole sphere and then take away the mirror of the salad bowl.

6. Jan 27, 2009 #5

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook