Half-Plane in R^3: Explanation and Analysis

• Thread starter MathewsMD
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing the surface with an equation of theta = pi/4, where there is confusion about whether it is a half-plane or a full-plane in a specific coordinate system. It is also mentioned that disallowing negative values of r may cause some issues, but ultimately the understanding of the concept is clear.
MathewsMD

Homework Statement

Describe in words the surface whose equation is given by theta = pi/4

2. The attempt at a solution

It is a fairly simple question, but I'm just trying to understand why this is considered a half-plane that exists for x that is greater than or equal to 0. There are no restriction on r or z. Given this, cannot r be negative? Wouldn't this make a full-plane and let it extend for x less than 0? I just don't quite see why it cannot have the point (-1, pi/4, 0), for example, which would be present for x less than 0. Any feedback is always appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
MathewsMD said:

Homework Statement

Describe in words the surface whose equation is given by theta = pi/4

2. The attempt at a solution

It is a fairly simple question, but I'm just trying to understand why this is considered a half-plane that exists for x that is greater than or equal to 0. There are no restriction on r or z. Given this, cannot r be negative? Wouldn't this make a full-plane and let it extend for x less than 0? I just don't quite see why it cannot have the point (-1, pi/4, 0), for example, which would be present for x less than 0. Any feedback is always appreciated!

First of all, you haven't told us what coordinate system you are using. ##\theta = \frac \pi 4## makes sense in 2D polar coordinates, 3D cylindrical coordinates, and in spherical coordinates. In spherical coordinates it might be a plane or cone, depending on what convention you use for ##\theta##.

But, to answer your question, you seem to understand what is going on perfectly well. Texts are inconsistent about whether or not ##r<0## is used in polar or cylindrical coordinates. If you are using the convention ##r\ge 0## you get a half plane as you say, and if ##r## is allowed to go negative you get the whole plane, as you understand. One problem with disallowing negative values of ##r## is that you don't see all 3 leaves of the rose ##r = \sin(3\theta)## for ##0\le\theta\le \pi##.

I wouldn't worry too much about this if I were you since you understand it just fine.

Likes MathewsMD

1. What is a half-plane in R^3?

A half-plane in R^3 is a two-dimensional region in three-dimensional space that is defined by a plane. In this case, the plane divides the space into two parts, with one side being considered the "half-plane". It can be visualized as a flat surface that extends infinitely in two directions.

2. How is a half-plane in R^3 different from a regular plane in R^3?

A regular plane in R^3 is a three-dimensional surface that extends infinitely in all directions. It is defined by three non-collinear points or a point and a normal vector. A half-plane, on the other hand, is a two-dimensional region within a plane, and only extends infinitely in two directions.

3. What is the equation of a half-plane in R^3?

The equation of a half-plane in R^3 can be written in the form ax + by + cz + d = 0, where (a, b, c) is the normal vector to the plane and d is a constant. This equation represents all the points that lie within the half-plane.

4. How is a half-plane in R^3 used in mathematics and science?

Half-planes in R^3 are commonly used in mathematical and scientific fields such as geometry, linear algebra, and computer graphics. They can be used to model and analyze various physical phenomena, and are also used in optimization and control problems.

5. Can a half-plane in R^3 be bounded or unbounded?

A half-plane in R^3 can be either bounded or unbounded, depending on the equation that defines it. If the equation includes an inequality (e.g. ax + by + cz + d ≤ 0), then the half-plane is bounded. If the equation is an equation of a plane (e.g. ax + by + cz + d = 0), then the half-plane is unbounded.