Calculating Comet Halley's Speed Across Neptune's Orbit

In summary, the comet Halley was 8.79x10^7 km from the Sun at its perihelion in February 1986 and was moving at 54.6 km/s. To find its speed when it crossed Neptune's orbit in 2006, conservation of energy can be used with the mean distance of Neptune from the Sun as one of the necessary pieces of information. Dates and specific distances are not needed for this calculation.
musicmar

Homework Statement

At its perihelion in February 1986, Comet Halley was 8.79x10^7 km form the Sun and was moving at 54.6 km/s. What was its speed when it crossed Neptune's orbit in 2006?

Homework Equations

K0+U0=K+U

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I need to do this using conservation of energy. I have v-initial and r-initial, and presumably I can look up r-final. The mass of the comet will cancel, and big M will be the mass of the sun(also can look up). I am just confused about the r's, though. I was wondering why it is necessary to know the dates or that it was at its perihelion. How do I find the distance it was from the sun when it crossed Neptune's orbit?

Physics news on Phys.org
I figured it out. You actually just have to use the mean distance of Neptune from the Sun, and then you have all of the necessary information to use conservation of energy.

1. How is Comet Halley's speed calculated across Neptune's orbit?

The speed of Comet Halley across Neptune's orbit is calculated by using the formula v = S/T, where v is the velocity, S is the distance traveled, and T is the time taken. The distance traveled is the circumference of Neptune's orbit, and the time taken is the period of Neptune's orbit.

2. What is the period of Neptune's orbit?

The period of Neptune's orbit is the time it takes for Neptune to complete one revolution around the sun. This is approximately 165 Earth years or 60,190 Earth days.

3. How is the circumference of Neptune's orbit calculated?

The circumference of Neptune's orbit can be calculated using the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference, π is the mathematical constant pi, and r is the radius of Neptune's orbit. The radius of Neptune's orbit is the distance from Neptune to the sun, which is approximately 4.5 billion kilometers.

4. What is the velocity of Comet Halley across Neptune's orbit?

The velocity of Comet Halley across Neptune's orbit can be calculated by plugging in the values of the distance traveled and the time taken into the formula v = S/T. The velocity will depend on the specific point in Neptune's orbit where the comet is located.

5. How accurate is the calculation of Comet Halley's speed across Neptune's orbit?

The accuracy of the calculation of Comet Halley's speed across Neptune's orbit will depend on the accuracy of the input values used in the formula. These values can be affected by factors such as the uncertainty in the measurement of Neptune's orbit and the comet's position in the orbit. However, with precise measurements and calculations, the speed can be determined with a high level of accuracy.