Juggling/Projectile Motion problem

• Thread starter qswdefrg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Motion
In summary, the conversation discusses the minimum height of a ceiling that a juggler must have in order to successfully juggle five balls in the air. The equations for a symmetrical trajectory are referenced and the assumption is made that the juggler's hands are at a 90 degree angle. The conversation also explores the number of balls per second that the juggler can handle and the time it takes for one ball to complete a cycle with different numbers of balls.
qswdefrg

Homework Statement

A juggler can transfer a ball from his left hand to his right hand in 0.2s. If he is juggling 5 balls and releases them from a height of 1.5m what is the min. height of the ceiling?

Homework Equations

symmetrical trajectory equations:
t = 2v1sintheta / g
delta_d = v1_y^2sin^2theta / 2g

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming that the ball follows a parabolic shape and that the juggler's hands are 90 degrees. I am also setting their hands to be the zero position.

I'm stuck on how to find the time of one ball in the air. Since the juggler always has 1 ball in either hand, that means 3 balls in the air... so 3 x 0.2 = 0.6? But when I sub it into the equations, d = 0.44 m. That can't be right. The only answer that seems reasonable is 0.2 x 5 = 1s, resulting in displacement of 1.5m.

So ceiling has to be 1.5 + 1.2 = 2.7 m? This is pretty low.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
This is a tricky one just to think about and set up. Here are my thoughts:

1. Based on the 0.2s transfer time between hands, how many balls per second can the juggler handle?

2. Based on the answer to (1), what is the time for 1 ball to complete a cycle if there are (a) 5 balls, (b) 10 balls, and (c) 15 balls?

A "cycle" is one time completely around the ball's path, say from the right hand, upward through the air and back down to the left hand, then transferred from the left to the right hand.

Hope that helps.

1. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object through the air under the influence of gravity. It follows a curved path called a parabola.

2. How does juggling relate to projectile motion?

Juggling involves throwing and catching objects in a rhythmic pattern. These objects follow a parabolic path, making it a perfect real-life example of projectile motion.

3. What factors affect the trajectory of a juggled object?

The trajectory of a juggled object is affected by its initial velocity, angle of release, air resistance, and the force of gravity.

4. Can the equations used to calculate projectile motion be applied to juggling?

Yes, the equations used to calculate projectile motion, such as the equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration, can be applied to juggling to analyze the motion of the juggled objects.

5. How can understanding projectile motion improve juggling skills?

Understanding projectile motion allows jugglers to predict the path of the objects they are juggling and adjust their movements accordingly. This can help improve accuracy and consistency in juggling.