1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hamiltonian matrix problem

1. Dec 26, 2008 #1
    dear members,
    My problem is...
    suppose take the spin Hamiltonian Hham=D[Sz2 -S(S+1)/3 +(E/D)(Sy2-Sy2)] +Hi[tex]\vec{S}[/tex] (most often in EPR experiments, etc).
    here external magnetic field Hamiltonian Hi = [tex]\beta[/tex]giBiext and i =x, y and z. Also gx=gy=gz=2 and the external magnetic field is parallel/along z-axis. Ms is the magnetic quantum number.
    What i dont know.. Using S=5/2 and writing down in the |5/2,Ms> representation yields a matrix (from the above spin Hamiltonian)...I really dont know how to write it.(may be in other words how to label spin Hamiltonian by Ms )..But i have the solution...Can anyone help me?? I am really frustrated about this problem..
    advance thanks for helping me..
    Rajini

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 27, 2008 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

First, it looks like you have some typos in your expression for H_{ham}. E.g., S_y^2 - S_y^2 is just zero. Also, the last term appears to be a vector.

But, anyways, I think you should start by writing down what [itex]S_z[/itex] looks like in the basis. Then write what [itex]S_+[/itex] (the raising operator) looks like and then what [itex]S_-[/itex] looks like.

4. Dec 28, 2008 #3
    dear members,
    My problem is...
    suppose take the spin Hamiltonian Hham=D[Sz2 -S(S+1)/3 +(E/D)(Sx2-Sy2)] + [tex]\beta[/tex][tex]\vec{B}[/tex][tex]\tilde{g}[/tex][tex]\vec{S}[/tex] (most often in EPR experiments, etc).
    here external magnetic field Hamiltonian Hi = [tex]\beta[/tex]giBiext and i =x, y and z. Also gx=gy=gz=2 and the external magnetic field is parallel/along z-axis. Ms is the magnetic quantum number.
    What i dont know.. Using S=5/2 and writing down in the |5/2,Ms> representation yields a matrix (from the above spin Hamiltonian)...I really dont know how to write it.(may be in other words how to label spin Hamiltonian by Ms )..But i have the solution...Can anyone help me?? I am really frustrated about this problem..
    advance thanks for helping me..

5. Dec 28, 2008 #4
    Hi olgran, I corrected my error..
    thanks for replying

6. Dec 28, 2008 #5
    Hi Olgran, I got a hint from your reply..(S- and S+)...based on ur hint...i am on the way:- solving my problem..hopefully i can solve it..after working on big 6x6 matrices..
    thanks
    rajini

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?