Hamiltonians and Expectation Values and Ehrenfest's theorum, OH MY ()

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the operator Q, which is not a function of time, and the Hamiltonian operator H. It is shown that the expectation value of Q can be expressed as the expectation value of the commutator of Q and H for an arbitrary time-dependent wave function. The conversation also mentions using Schrodinger's equation to connect the left and right-hand sides of the equation.
Kvm90

Homework Statement

(a) Let Q be an operator which is not a function of time, abd Let H be the Hamiltonian operator. Show that:

i(hbar)([tex]\delta<q>[/tex] / dt =<[Q,H]>

Here <q> is the expectation value of Q for any arbirtary time-dependent wave function Psi, which is not necessarily an eigenfunction of H, and <[Q,H]> is the expectation value of the commutator of Q and H for the same wave function.

Homework Equations

I know the Hamiltonian and I understand that [Q,H]=QH-HQ
so <QH-HQ> = int(Psi*(x,t)(QH-HQ)Psi(x,t) dx) and now I'm in over my head/don't really know whether what I'm doing is right.

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having trouble getting anything further than what I mentioned above

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the left-hand side. Write down an expression for the expectation value [tex]\langle Q \rangle[/tex] and take the time derivative. You'll want to use Schrodinger's equation to connect to the expression on the right-hand side.

Related to Hamiltonians and Expectation Values and Ehrenfest's theorum, OH MY ()

What is a Hamiltonian in quantum mechanics?

A Hamiltonian is a mathematical operator that represents the total energy of a quantum system. It is used to describe the dynamics of a system in terms of its position and momentum.

What is the significance of the expectation value in quantum mechanics?

The expectation value, also known as the average value, is a measure of the most probable outcome of a measurement in quantum mechanics. It is obtained by taking the average of all possible values that a physical quantity can have.

What is Ehrenfest's theorem and how is it related to the Hamiltonian?

Ehrenfest's theorem is a fundamental principle in quantum mechanics that relates the time evolution of an expectation value to the corresponding classical equations of motion. It states that the rate of change of an expectation value is equal to the expectation value of the commutator between the Hamiltonian and the corresponding observable.

Can Ehrenfest's theorem be applied to any quantum system?

Yes, Ehrenfest's theorem can be applied to any quantum system that can be described by a Hamiltonian. This includes both non-relativistic and relativistic systems.

How is the concept of expectation value used in practical applications?

The concept of expectation value is used in practical applications to predict the behavior of quantum systems and to make accurate measurements. It is also used in the development of quantum algorithms and in the study of quantum information theory.