Hamiltonians and Expectation Values and Ehrenfest's theorum, OH MY ()

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
Kvm90
Messages
28
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



(a) Let Q be an operator which is not a function of time, abd Let H be the Hamiltonian operator. Show that:

i(hbar)([tex]\delta<q>[/tex] / dt =<[Q,H]>

Here <q> is the expectation value of Q for any arbirtary time-dependent wave function Psi, which is not necessarily an eigenfunction of H, and <[Q,H]> is the expectation value of the commutator of Q and H for the same wave function.

Homework Equations



I know the Hamiltonian and I understand that [Q,H]=QH-HQ
so <QH-HQ> = int(Psi*(x,t)(QH-HQ)Psi(x,t) dx) and now I'm in over my head/don't really know whether what I'm doing is right.

The Attempt at a Solution



I'm having trouble getting anything further than what I mentioned above
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Start with the left-hand side. Write down an expression for the expectation value [tex]\langle Q \rangle[/tex] and take the time derivative. You'll want to use Schrödinger's equation to connect to the expression on the right-hand side.