1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: HARD equation.

1. Jun 10, 2010 #1
    Hi, i'm just wondering if anyone can help me with this equation: I need to determine the values of A,B and C from the given equation.

[tex]\frac{A}{(x-1)}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{B}{(x+1)}[/tex] + [tex]\frac{C}{x}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{5x^2+2x+1}{x^3-x}[/tex]

I've tried to simplify it by factorising the denominator on the LHS to x^3 - x, and i am suspicious that the values of A,B and C are the 3 parts of the numerator of the RHS respectively to 5x^2,2x and 1.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 10, 2010 #2
    No, A, B, and C are numbers. You need to combine terms on the LHS and then compare the numerators to get a system of equations for A, B, and C.
  4. Jun 10, 2010 #3
    You need to make the three "fractions" you have on the LHS into just one "fraction" (google "addition and subtraction of algebraic fractions" as a hint).

once you have that you can then equate the [STRIKE]denominators[/STRIKE] numerators in a separate equation. Then you can start to solve for A, B and C
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  5. Jun 10, 2010 #4
    How is that possible, i'd have to solve for 4 unknowns A,B,C and x?

(Ax^2+Ax+x^2B+x^2C-xB-C)/(x^3-x) is the LHS
  6. Jun 10, 2010 #5
    you leave x as an unknown. Instead you will need equate the coefficients of [tex]x^{0},x^{1},x^{2}[/tex]

this will give you enough equations to solve for A,B and C
  7. Jun 10, 2010 #6
    apologies, I said to equate the denominators in an earlier post. I meant to say "equate numerators"
  8. Jun 10, 2010 #7

Staff: Mentor

As already noted, the idea is not to solve for x. The original equation is supposed to be true for all values of x other than those that make the denominators zero (i.e., x = 0, 1, or -1).
  9. Jun 10, 2010 #8
    I am confused, I know that you can solve for three variables by doing an eliminiation process like a silmutaneous solving method, but i dont understand how to get it to the three equations..
  10. Jun 10, 2010 #9

Starting from this equation:
    [tex]\frac{A}{x - 1} + \frac{B}{(x+1)} + \frac{C}{x} = \frac{5x^2 + 2x + 1}{x(x - 1)(x + 1)}[/tex]

Multiply both sides of the equation by x(x - 1)(x + 1).
    Solve for A, B, and C. The simplest way to get the three equations is to substitute specific values for x. I would use x = 0 to get one equation, x = 1 to get another, and x = -1 to get the third equation.
  11. Jun 10, 2010 #10
    Whether you choose to combine them into 1 fraction, and compare numerators, or multiply both sides by x(x-1)(x+1), it would be easier on you if you do not expand the brackets

eg. instead of writing "Ax2 + Ax", leave it as "A(x+1)(x)"

Since the values of A, B and C are the same for all values of x, you yourself can choose any value of x to substitute into the equation to obtain expressions for A, B and C

Choosing the right numbers to substitute is the key to making this simple

eg.: for the term "A(x+1)(x)", if I substitute the values x = -1 or x = 0, that term becomes 0, which means I eliminate the term containing A completely
  12. Jun 11, 2010 #11
    Both sides have the variable x right? So you dont want to solve for x. What is missing is the A B C on the right hand side. You want to expand out the left hand side (through cross multiplication) and then say all x^2 terms must have some coefficient (in this case 5 on the right side) and so any terms on the left with x^2 must sum to give 5x^2. Similarly with 2x and the constant 1.
  13. Jun 11, 2010 #12
    When I attempted the problem I managed to get C = -1, A = 4 and B = 2...

any idea if this is right?

I multiplied through to get a common denominator and then set the numerators equal to one another.

A(x+1)(x) + B(x-1)(x) + C(x2-1) = 5x2+2x+1

I distributed and found...

Ax2 + Ax + Bx2-Bx+Cx2-C = 5x2+2x+1

Then I simply isolated like terms, found C = -1; A - B = -2 and A + B + C = 5

Solving the system of equations yielded C = -1, A = 4, and B = 2

Might have messed up the arithmetic somewhere but i think that is the general premise to the solution
  14. Jun 11, 2010 #13

These kinds of problems are easy to check. Put the numbers in the equation in the OP and see if you get a true statement.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook