1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HARD Mathematic examination question

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    HARD!! Mathematic examination question

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

$$\int_0^2\int_π/3^π (x^2*\sec^3 x^3 -12\ /\sqrt{e^π+x^2 +2x})\,dx\,d(theta)$$ :cool:

2. Relevant equations

I could not find any relevant questions on the web, however this is simply a question from an exam written the 14th of October 2013 regarding multiple integrals

3. The attempt at a solution

I attempted to use trig substitution, substituting x=tan(theta), dx=sec^2(theta) d(theta)
    to no progress I gave up :cry: ... then I wondered whether i should have subsituted u=π-x ∴ x=π-u
    but this led to bigger problems... I have sincerely attempted to solve this problem for a day now, please help, I would trully appreciate it...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 15, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2
    So it's ##\displaystyle\int_0^2\left(\int_{\frac\pi3}^\pi\left(x^2\cdot\sec^3 \left(x^3\right)-\dfrac{12}{\sqrt{e^\pi+x^2+2\cdot x}}\right)\cdot\mathrm{d}x\right)\cdot\mathrm{d}\theta##? That ... sounds like a strange integral, especially considering the lack of any ##\theta## in the integrand. Try using the fact that ##\displaystyle\int\left(f+g\right)=\int f+\int g##, then use a couple substitutions. You might have to complete the square in the square root.

4. Oct 18, 2013 #3
    'm terribly sorry, its my first time so I made a slight mistake in the equation... Its supposed to be a double integral, not separated by brackets. Also it should read after the second integral [x^2.Sec^3(x^3 -12)/√e^π+x^2 -2x] and finally dx.d(theta)

5. Oct 18, 2013 #4

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It still doesn't make any sense. Surely there should be a theta somewhere other than in the dθ.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted