Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hardware circuit designer

1. Jul 12, 2005 #1
    Is designing the hardware circuits more difficult than designing software? Can a hardware circuit designer earn more money than a software designer? What subjects do I need to study if I want to make a career as a hardware circuit designer?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2005 #2

dduardo

Staff Emeritus

It depends on what type of hardware you want to design, analog or digital. Digital design is basically software design. You'll use a hardware description language like VHDL or Verilog to design the circuits. If you go the analog route, depending on what you specialize you'll use a different software package. Analog is less programming, and more estimated calcalcations and running computer simulations.

In terms of which pays more, it really depends. I would say, don't do it for the money, but rather which type of circuit design do you enjoy more.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?