Harmonic Motion of a pendulum Problem

In summary, the problem involves a pendulum with a length of 1.00 m being released from an initial angle of 15.0 degrees and after 1,000 seconds, its amplitude is reduced by friction by 5.50 degrees. The value of b/2m needs to be determined and is related to the damping coefficient of the pendulum. The equation for simple harmonic motion can be used, with the amplitude of 1 meter and the initial and final angles given. The value of b/2m can be solved for using this equation.
MorganJ
1. Homework Statement
-A pendulum with a length of 1.00 m is released from an initial angle of 15.0 degrees.
After 1,000 seconds, its amplitude is reduced to friction by 5.50 degrees. What is the value of b/2m?

Homework Equations

In simple harmonic motion, a simple pendulum ---> 2pi times the square root of length over g constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

If it is released from an initial angle of 15 degrees, I believe I must do 1sin or cos15 degrees. If friction is involved, I guess I must use the sum of all forces which is tension and friction opposing one another? And what does "b" stand for?

Physics news on Phys.org
b is a damping coefficient.

A coefficient of what?

damping. Basically it represents how quickly friction damps the amplitude. It is usually if not always on the numerator with mass on the denominator. That is because the heavier something is, the harder it is to stop.

Okay so 1 meter is my amplitude. I use 15 degrees for initial and afterwards 5.50 degrees. How do I go about this?

isn't one meter the length of the pendulum?

Yes it is. Is this the equation: x=Ae exp -b/2m*t(cos(wt + phi))?

Related to Harmonic Motion of a pendulum Problem

1. What is harmonic motion?

Harmonic motion is a type of oscillatory motion where an object moves back and forth in a regular pattern, such as a pendulum swinging back and forth.

2. How does a pendulum demonstrate harmonic motion?

A pendulum demonstrates harmonic motion because it follows a repeated pattern of movement, swinging back and forth between two points as a result of gravity pulling it towards its equilibrium point.

3. What factors affect the harmonic motion of a pendulum?

The factors that affect the harmonic motion of a pendulum include the length of the pendulum, the mass of the pendulum bob, and the acceleration due to gravity.

4. What is the relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period of oscillation?

The relationship between the length of a pendulum and its period of oscillation is known as the pendulum equation. It states that the period of oscillation is directly proportional to the square root of the length of the pendulum.

5. How does the angle of release affect the harmonic motion of a pendulum?

The angle of release has little effect on the harmonic motion of a pendulum, as long as the angle is small. This is because the force of gravity and the length of the pendulum remain constant, resulting in the same period of oscillation regardless of the angle of release.