Harmonic Oscillator Problem: Energy Levels & Ground State

In summary, we discussed a two-dimensional harmonic oscillator with a potential energy given by V(x,y) = (1/2)kxx2 + (1/2)kyy2. We then looked at the expression for the Hamiltonian operator and found that it can be written as a sum of operators. To solve for the general expression of the allowable energy levels, we applied the Schrodinger equation to the wave function and found that the solution has a form of psi(x,y) = psi_x(x)*psi_y(y). We then corrected the expression for the Hamiltonian and arrived at a correct representation.
Metallichem
Problem:
Consider a harmonic oscillator of mass m undergoing harmonic motion in two dimensions x and y. The potential energy is given by
V(x,y) = (1/2)kxx2 + (1/2)kyy2.
(a) Write down the expression for the Hamiltonian operator for such a system.
(b) What is the general expression for the allowable energy levels of the two-dimensional harmonic oscillator?
(c) What is the energy of the ground state (the lowest energy state)?

Hint: The Hamiltonian operator can be written as a sum of operators.

Now I'm a bit lost on how to write the expression for the Hamiltonian.
Is the Hamiltonian simply H = - h2/2m d2/dx2 + V(x,y) [where V(x,y) is given above]?
Then with that Hamiltonian, solving the Schrodinger eqn is pretty straightforward to get H*psi = E*psi, now I'm a bit lost here as well to solve for the general expression for the allowable energy levels?

Physics news on Phys.org
Metallichem said:
Problem:
Consider a harmonic oscillator of mass m undergoing harmonic motion in two dimensions x and y. The potential energy is given by
V(x,y) = (1/2)kxx2 + (1/2)kyy2.
(a) Write down the expression for the Hamiltonian operator for such a system.
(b) What is the general expression for the allowable energy levels of the two-dimensional harmonic oscillator?
(c) What is the energy of the ground state (the lowest energy state)?

Hint: The Hamiltonian operator can be written as a sum of operators.

Now I'm a bit lost on how to write the expression for the Hamiltonian.
Is the Hamiltonian simply H = - h2/2m d2/dx2 + V(x,y) [where V(x,y) is given above]?
Almost. You need to include a term for the kinetic energy due to movement in the y-direction.

Then with that Hamiltonian, solving the Schrodinger eqn is pretty straightforward to get H*psi = E*psi, now I'm a bit lost here as well to solve for the general expression for the allowable energy levels?
Have you solved the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator already?

I can represent the Hamiltonian as a sum of operators like this?
\hat{H} = \hat{H_x} + \hat{H_y}

Yes, depending on what you mean by Hx and Hy.

I get this, this is the general expresion of Hamiltonian Operator for the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator ??

[-ħ/2m (d^2 Ψ_x)/(dx^2 )+1/2 k_x x^2 Ψ_x ]+[-ħ/2m (d^2 Ψ_y)/(dy^2 )+1/2 k_y y^2 Ψ_y ]= EΨ_x Ψ_y

Part (a) is simply asking you for the operator ##\hat{H}##. The wave function doesn't appear in that expression. You wrote in your first post
$$\hat{H} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} + V(x,y)$$ which isn't correct, but it's essentially the type of answer you want to give for (a). You just need to correct it, which I think you know how to do.

The Schrodinger equation says what happens when you apply that operator to a wave function:
$$\hat{H}\psi(x,y) = \hat{H}_x \psi(x,y) + \hat{H}_y \psi(x,y) = E \psi(x,y)$$ Note that the two pieces act on the same function. If you assume the solution has the form ##\psi(x,y) = \psi_x(x)\psi_y(y)##, you'll get something similar to what you have. Your expression isn't quite correct. You're getting there though.

What is a harmonic oscillator?

A harmonic oscillator is a system that exhibits periodic motion, where the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. Examples include a mass attached to a spring or a pendulum.

How do you calculate the energy levels of a harmonic oscillator?

The energy levels of a harmonic oscillator can be calculated using the equation En = (n + 1/2)hω, where n is the quantum number, h is Planck's constant, and ω is the angular frequency of the oscillator.

What is the ground state of a harmonic oscillator?

The ground state of a harmonic oscillator is the lowest energy level, where the quantum number n = 0. This corresponds to the lowest possible energy that the oscillator can have.

How does the energy of a harmonic oscillator change as the quantum number increases?

The energy of a harmonic oscillator increases as the quantum number increases, following the equation En = (n + 1/2)hω. This means that the higher the energy level, the more energy the oscillator has.

Why is the ground state of a harmonic oscillator also known as the zero-point energy?

The ground state of a harmonic oscillator has the lowest possible energy, but it is not zero. This residual energy, known as the zero-point energy, is a consequence of the uncertainty principle and the fact that the oscillator can never be completely at rest.