1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Harmonic Oscillator

1. Feb 16, 2012 #1
    Problem:
    Consider a harmonic oscillator of mass m undergoing harmonic motion in two dimensions x and y. The potential energy is given by
    V(x,y) = (1/2)kxx2 + (1/2)kyy2.
    (a) Write down the expression for the Hamiltonian operator for such a system.
    (b) What is the general expression for the allowable energy levels of the two-dimensional harmonic oscillator?
    (c) What is the energy of the ground state (the lowest energy state)?

Hint: The Hamiltonian operator can be written as a sum of operators.

Now I'm a bit lost on how to write the expression for the Hamiltonian.
    Is the Hamiltonian simply H = - h2/2m d2/dx2 + V(x,y) [where V(x,y) is given above]?
    Then with that Hamiltonian, solving the Schrodinger eqn is pretty straightforward to get H*psi = E*psi, now I'm a bit lost here as well to solve for the general expression for the allowable energy levels?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2012 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Almost. You need to include a term for the kinetic energy due to movement in the y-direction.

Have you solved the one-dimensional harmonic oscillator already?

4. Feb 18, 2012 #3
    I can represent the Hamiltonian as a sum of operators like this?
    \hat{H} = \hat{H_x} + \hat{H_y}

5. Feb 18, 2012 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes, depending on what you mean by Hx and Hy.

6. Feb 18, 2012 #5
    I get this, this is the general expresion of Hamiltonian Operator for the Quantum Harmonic Oscillator ??

[-ħ/2m (d^2 Ψ_x)/(dx^2 )+1/2 k_x x^2 Ψ_x ]+[-ħ/2m (d^2 Ψ_y)/(dy^2 )+1/2 k_y y^2 Ψ_y ]= EΨ_x Ψ_y

7. Feb 18, 2012 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Part (a) is simply asking you for the operator ##\hat{H}##. The wave function doesn't appear in that expression. You wrote in your first post
    $$\hat{H} = -\frac{\hbar^2}{2m} \frac{d^2}{dx^2} + V(x,y)$$ which isn't correct, but it's essentially the type of answer you want to give for (a). You just need to correct it, which I think you know how to do.

The Schrodinger equation says what happens when you apply that operator to a wave function:
    $$\hat{H}\psi(x,y) = \hat{H}_x \psi(x,y) + \hat{H}_y \psi(x,y) = E \psi(x,y)$$ Note that the two pieces act on the same function. If you assume the solution has the form ##\psi(x,y) = \psi_x(x)\psi_y(y)##, you'll get something similar to what you have. Your expression isn't quite correct. You're getting there though.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook