Harvard 1869 entrance exam

In summary, the Latin and Greek sections may be outdated, but everything else is still fair game for today. The MIT English section would have dominated me. I hate to admit it, but I don't recognize some of those authors. The English section is really more of a humanities/geography section, and the references are a reflection of the times.
gravenewworld
http://spectrum.columbiaspectator.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/harvardexam.pdf

Ok, so the Latin and Greek sections may be outdated, but everything else is still fair game for today. Brutal test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
MIT's is a beast too:

http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/exhibits/exam/

gravenewworld said:
MIT's is a beast too:

http://libraries.mit.edu/archives/exhibits/exam/

The beards in that photo rocks.

at least there's no latin required for MIT. I would have been in no problem. The harvard geography got the best of me.

The MIT English section would have dominated me. I hate to admit it, but I don't recognize some of those authors.

gravenewworld said:
The MIT English section would have dominated me. I hate to admit it, but I don't recognize some of those authors.
The English section is really more of a humanities/geography section, and the references are a reflection of the times. I would expect that a classic education of the time would have exposed one to the authors, works and geography of the time and region. I'm sure students at a university were expected to be familiar with Massachusetts geography. I also imagine that it was expected that MIT would take the top students from various communities.

Ho MAN, I am so IN to MIT now!

Except for that "What part of the month of August is 7/18 minutes?"

I bet that's the secret code question, where the kids of the lumber barons are told to write:

"the part that falls in the corner," or something.

was latin and greek common knowledge at the time or soemthing?

So if that MIT test was still around I could get in MIT ? That's pretty awesome.

Physics_UG said:
was latin and greek common knowledge at the time or soemthing?

Assuming the American model of education was similar to the UK, then yes, anybody who attended school past the age of about 10 and was planning to go to university would take courses in Latin, and probably Greek as well, as part of the standard curriiculum.

Even in the 1970s, passing an exam in Latin was a still compulsory requirement to read any subject at Oxford or Cambridge universities in the UK. But that was no big deal, since in state schools (= US public schools) that were likely to send students to Oxbridge, everybody took courses in a couple of foreign languages, usually French and Latin for the top streams, and French and German for the rest, with national exams (the GCE - General Certificate of Education) at age 16.

Last edited:

1. What was the format of the Harvard 1869 entrance exam?

The Harvard 1869 entrance exam consisted of written exams in Latin, Greek, mathematics, and history. There was also an oral exam in English composition.

2. How long did the Harvard 1869 entrance exam last?

The exam lasted for two days, with a total of 8 hours of testing time.

3. What was the passing score for the Harvard 1869 entrance exam?

The passing score for the exam was determined by the faculty and varied each year, but typically students needed to score above 75% to be accepted.

4. Were there any prerequisites for taking the Harvard 1869 entrance exam?

Yes, applicants were required to have completed at least two years of Latin and one year of Greek in their preparatory studies.

5. How many students took the Harvard 1869 entrance exam?

In 1869, approximately 130 students took the entrance exam, but only 39 were accepted into Harvard College.