Is Solving 0.2y - 0.02x - 0.5 = 0 Correct for Finding a Straight Line Equation?

• Thread starter Natasha1
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is discussing a differential equation with the form dy/dx = 0.2y - 0.02x, where y represents the number of infected individuals and x represents time in days. The task is to obtain a straight line equation for when the rate of infection is 0.5, 1, 2, and 3 per day. The solution for the rate of 0.5 is found by rearranging the equation to y = 0.1x + 0.5.
Natasha1
I'm given the differential equation dy/dx = 0.2y - 0.02x and I am asked to obtain a straight line equation for dy/dx = 0.5

Does this mean need to solve the quadratic 0.2y - 0.02x - 0.5 = 0 ?

Physics news on Phys.org
I hate to burst your bubble but
Natasha1 said:
0.2y - 0.02x - 0.5 = 0

Isn't a quadratic. Is the question phrased exactly as you have typed?

~H

Well the whole exercise is as follows:

The spread of a disease in a community is modeled by the following differential equation:

dy/dx = 0.2y - 0.02x where y is the number of infected individuals in thousands, and x the time in days.

1) Show the equation that for the family of 'curves' in the plane for which dy/dx is a constant, is the form y=mx+c.

2) Obtain the four straight line equations for dy/dx equal to 0.5, 1, 2 and 3

3) Solve the equation using the linear 1st order method, given that initially there are on thousand infected individuals.

Help please :-)

Ok, for question two, it is basically asking you to find the equation of a straight line for when the rate of infection is 500 infections per day. So what you did above; 0.2y - 0.02x - 0.5 = 0 is correct. Simply re-arrange this into the form y = mx +c.

~H

Last edited:

FAQ: Is Solving 0.2y - 0.02x - 0.5 = 0 Correct for Finding a Straight Line Equation?

1. What does "Have I got this right?" mean?

"Have I got this right?" is a phrase commonly used to ask for confirmation or clarification about something. It can be used in various contexts, such as when discussing a concept, idea, or task.

2. Is "Have I got this right?" a formal or informal phrase?

The phrase "Have I got this right?" is considered informal. It is often used in casual conversations or informal settings, such as among friends or colleagues.

3. Can "Have I got this right?" be used in a professional setting?

While "Have I got this right?" is generally considered informal, it can be used in a professional setting, depending on the context and tone. For example, it may be appropriate to use in a brainstorming session or during a casual meeting with colleagues.

4. How can I use "Have I got this right?" effectively in a conversation?

To use "Have I got this right?" effectively, it is important to ask with a genuine tone and to be specific about what you are seeking confirmation for. This will help ensure that you get the information you need and that the conversation stays on track.

5. Are there alternative phrases that can be used instead of "Have I got this right?"

Yes, there are several alternative phrases that can be used in place of "Have I got this right?" Some examples include: "Am I understanding this correctly?", "Is this accurate?", or "Do I have the right idea?". It is important to choose a phrase that feels natural to you and fits the context of the conversation.

Back