1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have I got this right?

1. Apr 30, 2006 #1
    I'm given the differential equation dy/dx = 0.2y - 0.02x and I am asked to obtain a straight line equation for dy/dx = 0.5

Does this mean need to solve the quadratic 0.2y - 0.02x - 0.5 = 0 ?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2006 #2

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I hate to burst your bubble but
    Isn't a quadratic. Is the question phrased exactly as you have typed?

~H

4. Apr 30, 2006 #3
    Well the whole exercise is as follows:

The spread of a disease in a community is modelled by the following differential equation:

dy/dx = 0.2y - 0.02x where y is the number of infected individuals in thousands, and x the time in days.

1) Show the equation that for the family of 'curves' in the plane for which dy/dx is a constant, is the form y=mx+c.

2) Obtain the four straight line equations for dy/dx equal to 0.5, 1, 2 and 3

3) Solve the equation using the linear 1st order method, given that initially there are on thousand infected individuals.

Help please :-)

5. Apr 30, 2006 #4

Hootenanny

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ok, for question two, it is basically asking you to find the equation of a straight line for when the rate of infection is 500 infections per day. So what you did above; 0.2y - 0.02x - 0.5 = 0 is correct. Simply re-arrange this into the form y = mx +c.

~H

Last edited: Apr 30, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?