Have we been able to land a rocket upright?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of landing a rocket on the ground with the nose up and thrusters down in the same position it took off in. Mention is made of Apollo 11-17 successfully doing this with only one failure, and the discussion also touches on other examples of vertical takeoff and landing rockets. The conversation also mentions the surface of the moon as "ground" and discusses the use of the term "R" for race in relation to rocket launches.
hsdrop
just an odd question that passed through my mind when i was watching a SpaceX youtube vid have we (as in humans)ever gotten a rocket to land on the ground with the nose up and the thrusters down (the same position the rocket took of in)?

Physics news on Phys.org
... wasn't that the vid you just watched? How about this one:

Likes hsdrop
This Wikipedia article is worth a read on the topic of vertical takeoff & landing rockets: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTVL

Likes hsdrop
Simon Bridge said:
... wasn't that the vid you just watched? How about this one:

the one i watched was a little older and it was animated so i was not share that they had done it or not

hsdrop said:
just an odd question that passed through my mind when i was watching a SpaceX youtube vid have we (as in humans)ever gotten a rocket to land on the ground with the nose up and the thrusters down (the same position the rocket took of in)?
Apollo 11-17 did that with only one failure...

Likes russ_watters
Carrock said:
Apollo 11-17 did that with only one failure...
...and the failure was not in the landing attempt.

i was not share that they had done it or not
Perhaps if you refined your question? It is unclear how you could be unaware/unsure of this:

(Off the question as asked...)
Apollo LLRV, probably doesn't count since it had no rocket engines (?)
Apollo LM landed rockets down, nose up - took off from the ground the same way.
Does the surface of the Moon count as "ground" here?
It landed and then took off ... does that count, or does it have to be take-off first?​

Apollo LLTV did have rockets, landed the same way it took off, and the take-off was first.

Also: search for vtol and vtvl rockets will get you lots of examples...

i was just making sure that we were keeping a head of this guy!
marvin riding rocket.gif

I was also in awe of the beaut that humans have been able to sculpt their dreams into reality

Those humans huh? All that creativity, and tasty too...
Pretty soon we'll have accidents where the rocket sinks into the launch platform because the pilot had it in reverse...

Simon Bridge said:
Those humans huh? All that creativity, and tasty too...
Pretty soon we'll have accidents where the rocket sinks into the launch platform because the pilot had it in reverse...
HAY MEN SOME ONE TOLD ME "R" WAS FOR RACE

And, I bet you believed them and crashed into someones house too, didn't you? :doh:

Simon Bridge said:
(Off the question as asked...)
Apollo LLRV, probably doesn't count since it had no rocket engines (?)
Apollo LM landed rockets down, nose up - took off from the ground the same way.
Does the surface of the Moon count as "ground" here?
It landed and then took off ... does that count, or does it have to be take-off first?​
How is my post "Off the question as asked...?"

I neglected to mention the LM took off from Earth before it landed on the moon. No requirement in the OP for the engine to be running during take off.

Several mentions of [lunar] ground in APOLLO OVER THE MOON: A VIEW FROM ORBIT (NASA SP-362) so ground seems the right term.

Last edited:

What is the significance of landing a rocket upright?

Landing a rocket upright is a significant achievement because it allows for the reuse of the rocket, reducing the cost and resources needed for future space missions. It also opens up possibilities for more frequent and accessible space travel.

Has a rocket ever been successfully landed upright?

Yes, SpaceX's Falcon 9 rocket has been successfully landed upright multiple times since 2015. Other companies such as Blue Origin and SpaceX's Falcon Heavy have also successfully landed rockets upright.

What challenges did scientists face in attempting to land a rocket upright?

One of the main challenges was developing the technology to guide and control the rocket's descent and landing. This required precise calculations and coordination of various systems, such as thrusters and landing legs. Additionally, the high speeds and temperatures during reentry posed a challenge for ensuring the structural integrity of the rocket.

What are the benefits of landing a rocket upright compared to traditional methods?

Landing a rocket upright allows for a more controlled and gentle landing, reducing the risk of damage to the rocket. It also allows for the recovery and reuse of the rocket, resulting in cost savings and a more sustainable approach to space travel.

What does the future hold for landing rockets upright?

As technology continues to advance, it is likely that more and more rockets will be able to be landed upright. This could lead to more frequent and affordable space travel, as well as potential advancements in space exploration and research. Additionally, the technology developed for landing rockets upright could also have applications in other industries, such as commercial aviation.