Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Have you ever heard Electric Field of one turn Solenoid?

1. Jul 1, 2007 #1
    Have you ever heard "Electric Field of one turn Solenoid?

hi, guys:
    Have you ever heard "Electric Field of one turn Solenoid"? Here is a example from MIT.
    1. Click on the weblink: http://web.mit.edu/6.013_book/www/book.html
    2. Click on the Chapter 10 in the left part of the screen!
    3. Now Click on 10.1 , which say something about Magnetoquasistatic Electric Fields in Systems of PerfectConductors
    4. In the Example 10.1.2, you will find the Electric Field of one turn Solenoid

I am confused about this example!
    First I cannot understand "a circular cylindrical conductor having an inside radius a much less than its length in the z direction" Is this solenoid 3 dimension or 2 dimension? If it is 3 dimension, is it still " solenoid'?
    Second I cannot agree with the Equation (14), which claims that "the field inside the solenoid is uniform, axial, and equal to the surface current " ??

Anyway, I cannot understand the example at all, does anybody who is a guru in Electrodynamics can understand that?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 4, 2007 #2

I believe Figure 10.1.3 shows the cross section view of a "cyliner". The cylinder height, z direction, is into the page.

Equation 14: the words do say "surface current" but K is surface current denisty, Amps/length. I think the Iz in this equation should be possibly Nz (unit norm in Z direction) since H is a bolded vector.

But by the same reasons discussed in 10.1.1 the H field would be essentially uniform and axial in the z direction given a very long and very small dia.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?