Having a little trouble, very typical question

• Thread starter DB
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about finding the displacement and distance traveled when going to a restaurant from an apartment. It involves using vector components and Pythagorean theorem to calculate the displacement, as well as using tangents to find the direction traveled. It is important to clarify whether displacement is referring to a vector or just the distance traveled.
DB
im not use to working is 3D so i need some help

you are going to a restaurant. you leave your apartement and take the elevator 30 m down, then 15 m south to the exit. then u travel 200 m east and then 100 m to the restaurant. what is your displacement.

so what i did is:

-15j
+200i
+100j

then after adding them up:

[tex]\Delta d=\sqrt{200i^2+85j^2+(-30k^2)}[/tex]

displacement = ~ 219.37 m

is this right? and how do i represent the final direction?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to double check Pythagora's thm there! It says[tex]\Delta d=\sqrt{\Delta x^2+\Delta y^2+\Delta z^2}[/tex]

sry, i can't find the mistake your talking about, would that 85 be -115?

That's an interesting one DB. I just checked the arithmetic and you do have the right answer in terms of distance. But whilst I can know how to use tangents to work out the horizontal direction in degrees that you ought to supply in addition to the distance, I'm not familiar with using this to express the downward component. Perhaps one of the more learned chaps can chip in here.

DB said:
you are going to a restaurant. you leave your apartement and take the elevator 30 m down, then 15 m south to the exit. then u travel 200 m east and then 100 m to the restaurant. what is your displacement.
Firstly, how do we know in which direction the last 100m is?

DB said:
sry, i can't find the mistake your talking about, would that 85 be -115?
I was referring to the fact that you did not square the distances. I.e. you used the equation

[tex]\Delta d = \sqrt{\Delta x+\Delta y+\Delta z}[/tex]

Edit: Oh i understand! By 200i², you mean (200i)². The parenthesis are important because [itex]200i^2[/itex] means (200)*(i²)=200.

Last edited:
oh I am sorry, it is suposed to say 100m North

DB said:
you are going to a restaurant. you leave your apartement and take the elevator 30 m down, then 15 m south to the exit. then u travel 200 m east and then 100 m (NORTH)to the restaurant. what is your displacement.]

I found myself not certain as to whether "displacement" was a vector (my first choice) or just the distance (which several of the answers are assuming) so I went to "google" to check. No luck! What I got was "A vector or the magnitude of a vector from the initial position to the final position"! In other words, it could be either and I think you had better check exactly which meaning it is given in your class.

In any case: taking the "i" vector to the east, the "j" vector north, the "k" vector upward, you: "take the elevator 30 m down": -30k; "then 15 m south to the exit": -15j;"then u travel 200 m east": 200i; "then 100 m (NORTH)to the restaurant" (North added from your later respons): 100j.
Adding all those, your displacement vector is -30k- 15j+ 200i+ 100j= 200i+ 85j- 30k. Your numerical displacement (distance) is
[tex]\sqrt{(200)^2+ (85)^2+ (-30)^2}= \sqrt{40000+ 7225+ 900}= \sqrt{48125} m[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
You got the distance portion right. To get the direction you need to know use tangents. You know that you moved 85m North and 200m East. You can express these as an opposite over adjacent ratio, and find the bearing in degrees using the INV tangent function on this here online calculator.

http://www.math.com/students/calculators/source/scientific.htm

You can then repeat with 30/sqrt(852 + 2002) to get a declination.

But I suspect that the answer they were looking for was just the 219.37m distance.

Last edited:
thanks everyone, btw hallsofivy displacement is a vector, distance is not. just to cleat that up :) thanks again i understand the problem now

1. What does it mean to have "a little trouble" in a scientific context?

Having "a little trouble" in a scientific context generally refers to encountering difficulties or challenges in conducting research or experiments, analyzing data, or interpreting results. It is a common phrase used to describe minor issues or setbacks that are expected and can be overcome with problem-solving and perseverance.

2. Is encountering "a little trouble" a sign of failure in scientific research?

No, encountering "a little trouble" is a normal and expected part of the scientific process. In fact, facing challenges and overcoming them is often necessary for making new discoveries and advancing knowledge. It is important for scientists to approach these difficulties with a problem-solving mindset and to learn from them in order to improve their methods and results.

3. How can one overcome "a little trouble" in their scientific work?

The best way to overcome "a little trouble" in scientific work is to approach it with a logical and systematic problem-solving approach. This may involve taking a step back, evaluating the issue at hand, and brainstorming potential solutions. It can also be helpful to consult with colleagues or seek guidance from experienced scientists. Additionally, being persistent and resilient in the face of challenges is key to overcoming "a little trouble" in scientific work.

4. Are there any tips for preventing "a little trouble" in scientific research?

While encountering some difficulties is inevitable in scientific research, there are some steps that can be taken to minimize the chances of running into "a little trouble". These include carefully planning and designing experiments, ensuring proper controls and sample sizes, and regularly reviewing and validating data. It can also be helpful to regularly communicate and collaborate with colleagues to identify and address potential issues early on.

5. Can "a little trouble" ever lead to valuable insights or discoveries in scientific research?

Yes, "a little trouble" can often lead to unexpected and valuable insights or discoveries in scientific research. Sometimes, the challenges and obstacles that scientists face can lead them down new paths or spark new ideas that ultimately contribute to their research. It is important for scientists to approach these difficulties with an open mind and to be flexible and adaptable in their methods and approaches.