Having trouble graphing a Volume problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the volume generated by rotating a region bounded by specific curves around the x-axis. The person asking the question is unsure about where to graph the line y=π, but it is confirmed that it should be placed at y=3.14. The graph should form a triangle shape.
BlackMamba
Hello again,

Once I get this graphed correctly, I don't see any problems as to why I couldn't solve it. But for now I have a question about graphing this volume problem.

The problem says to find the volume generated by rotating the region bounded by [itex]y=e^x[/itex], [itex]x=0[/itex], and [itex]y=\pi[/itex] about the x-axis.

I have a picture of what I my graph would look like. The green curve is the line [itex]y=e^x[/itex], and the rust colored line is, [itex]x=0[/itex]. My question is where do I graph [itex]y=\pi[/itex] ? Is it as simple as placing the line at y = 3.14?

Thanks for taking a look. It is greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• graph.gif
    graph.gif
    2.1 KB · Views: 547
Physics news on Phys.org
I still am unsure about this. I could use the help. Thanks.

Actually I think I got it. But if you could look at confirm or deny what I have come up with I would appreciate it.

Attachments

• scan.gif
    scan.gif
    31.3 KB · Views: 552
Last edited:
I'd love to confirm what you have, however, for some reason the attachment is "pending approval." I can't view it.

Left boundary is a vertical line at x=0. Right and bottom boundary is y=e^x. Top boundary is y=pi. There's an intersection point where y=e^x and y=pi meet. It should look like a triangle. Then you rotate about the x-axis.

I didn't bother attaching a picture since attachments on this forum need some approval.

BlackMamba said:
...My question is where do I graph [itex]y=\pi[/itex] ? Is it as simple as placing the line at y = 3.14?

Yes, it is as simple as placing a line parallel to the x-axis at y = 3.14.

Thanks fire and radou.

Fire ~ Your description is what my graph looks like so thanks again.

1. What is the formula for calculating volume?

The formula for calculating volume depends on the shape of the object. For example, the formula for calculating the volume of a cube is V = s^3, where s is the length of one side. The formula for a cylinder is V = πr^2h, where r is the radius and h is the height.

2. How do I graph a volume problem?

To graph a volume problem, you will need to plot the values of the variables on the x and y axes. For example, if the problem involves finding the volume of a cube with a side length of 4 cm, you would plot 4 on the x-axis and the resulting volume on the y-axis. You can then connect the points to create a graph.

3. What is the most common mistake when graphing a volume problem?

The most common mistake when graphing a volume problem is not properly labeling the axes. It is important to label the axes with the correct variables and units to ensure that the graph is accurate and easy to interpret.

4. Can I use a calculator to graph a volume problem?

Yes, you can use a calculator to graph a volume problem. Many scientific and graphing calculators have a feature that allows you to input equations and plot them on a graph. This can be helpful when dealing with more complex volume problems.

5. How can I check if my graph is correct?

You can check if your graph is correct by plugging in different values for the variables and seeing if the resulting volume matches the plotted point on the graph. You can also use the formula for volume to calculate the volume using the values on the graph and see if they match.