How Do I Solve These Wavelength and Frequency Problems?

• Thread starter chrish
  • Start date
In summary, the frequency of yellow light is 5.5 x10^14 Hz and the wavelength of yellow light is 120.0 cm.
chrish
hey guys idk how you know all this stuff, and id appreciate if you helped me. i have to do wavelength and and frequency problems and i don't really understand how to do it the way my teacher taught it, so here they are and thanks for helping me.

1.The frequency of yellow light is 5.5 x10^14 Hz. Find the wavelength of yellow light. The speed of light is 300 000 km/s.

2.AM radio signals are broadcast at frequencies between 570 kHz and 1580 kHz (kilohertz) and travel 3.0 x10^8 m/s.

(a) What is the range of wavelengths for these signals? (Enter the wavelengths from shortest to longest.)
____m to ______ m
(b) FM frequencies range between 88 MHz and 108 MHz (megahertz) and travel at the same speed. What is the range of FM wavelengths?
______ m to _____ m

3.The velocity of a wave on a string depends on how hard the string is stretched, and on the mass per unit length of the string. If FT is the tension in the string, and µ is the mass/unit length, then the velocity, v, can be determined.
physicsq.gif

heres a pic of the formula i have to use

A piece of string 5.30 m long has a mass of 17.0 g. What must the tension in the string be to make the wavelength of a 120 Hz wave 120.0 cm?

thanks again

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
What is the basic relationship between wavelength, frequency and speed?

Look at the units of each of those quanities, see if you figure out a way to combine them that gives you the units you need.

i really have no idea about any of these, they become way too confusing, i know that you can use frequency and wavelength to get speed, but that's about it

chrish said:
i really have no idea about any of these, they become way too confusing, i know that you can use frequency and wavelength to get speed, but that's about it
You're definitely on the right track. Now check your text to see what it says about them. Once you note that relationship (hint: it is linear expression), you can find your solutions. (Curious, what grade is this being presented?)

Last edited:
Speed is distance over time, yes? And wavelength is...? And the relationship between frequency and time is...? You really should be able to figure it out from there even without the book.

Check out the units.

Wavelength = meters
Speed of light = meters DIVIDED by seconds
Frequency = 1 DIVIDED by seconds

write these down on a piece of paper and try to figure it out from there... what are you trying to get?

1. How can I improve my problem-solving skills?

One way to improve problem-solving skills is by practicing regularly. This can help you develop a systematic approach to solving problems and become more familiar with various techniques and strategies. It is also helpful to seek guidance from experienced problem solvers and to read about different problem-solving methods.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a problem?

If you are stuck on a problem, take a step back and try to understand the problem more deeply. Break it down into smaller, easier-to-understand parts and identify any patterns or relationships that may exist. You can also try approaching the problem from a different angle or seeking help from a peer or instructor.

3. How can I stay motivated when facing difficult problems?

Motivation can be a key factor in problem-solving. To stay motivated, try setting small achievable goals for yourself and celebrating each success. It can also be helpful to remind yourself of the bigger picture and why solving this problem is important to you. Additionally, taking breaks and engaging in activities you enjoy can help to rejuvenate your mind and keep you motivated.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving problems?

One common mistake when solving problems is jumping to conclusions too quickly without fully understanding the problem. This can lead to incorrect solutions and wasted time. It is also important to avoid overcomplicating the problem and to not rely too heavily on previous solutions without adapting them to the current problem.

5. How can I apply problem-solving skills to my daily life?

Problem-solving skills can be applied to many aspects of daily life, from personal challenges to professional tasks. To apply problem-solving skills, start by clearly defining the problem, breaking it down into smaller parts, and considering different solutions. It can also be helpful to think outside the box and be open to new ideas and perspectives. Practice makes perfect, so the more you utilize your problem-solving skills, the better you will become at it.