Heat - Energy Transfer Question

In summary, heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects or systems due to a difference in temperature. It can be transferred through conduction, convection, and radiation. Heat and temperature are different concepts, with heat being the energy being transferred and temperature being a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a substance. Heat can affect matter by causing changes in temperature, physical state, and expansion or contraction. Finally, heat cannot be created or destroyed, but can be converted into other forms of energy through the first law of thermodynamics.
Ve3Mike
Hi, one of my homework problems i received was "A water heater can generate 32, 000kJ/h. How much water can it heat from 15 C to 50 C per hour?" I am having trouble figuring out what formula I would use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's see, you have the amount of heat, Q=32,000,000 J
you have a change in temperature, [tex] \Delta T[/tex]=35 degrees
you have water with a specific heat, c = (look it up)
and you need mass m=?

You can't find the right formula? You should look again.

Hi there,

To answer this question, you will need to use the formula for calculating heat transfer, which is Q = mcΔT, where Q is the heat transferred, m is the mass of the object, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

In this case, since we are dealing with water, we can use the specific heat capacity of water, which is 4.186 J/g°C. We also know that the heat generated by the water heater is 32,000 kJ/h.

So, we can rearrange the formula to solve for the mass of water (m), which will give us the amount of water that can be heated by the water heater in one hour.

m = Q / (cΔT)

Substituting the values, we get:

m = (32,000,000 J/h) / (4.186 J/g°C * (50°C - 15°C))

m = 1,923,076.92 g = 1,923.08 kg

Therefore, the water heater can heat 1,923.08 kg of water from 15°C to 50°C in one hour.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Heat - Energy Transfer Question

1. What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects or systems due to a difference in temperature. This transfer of energy causes a change in the internal energy of the system, resulting in a change in temperature.

2. How is heat transferred?

Heat can be transferred through three main methods: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat and temperature are often used interchangeably, but they are actually different concepts. Heat is a form of energy, while temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance. In other words, heat is the energy being transferred, while temperature is the measure of how hot or cold something is.

4. How does heat affect matter?

Heat can affect matter in various ways. When heat is added to a substance, the molecules within the substance start to vibrate and move faster, causing an increase in temperature. This can also cause changes in the physical state of matter, such as melting or boiling. Heat can also cause expansion or contraction of matter, which can be seen in objects such as metal rods or thermometers.

5. Can heat be created or destroyed?

No, heat cannot be created or destroyed. The first law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. This means that the total amount of heat in a closed system will remain constant, but it can be transferred and converted into other forms of energy.