Heat equation - separation of variables

In summary, the homework statement is that du/dt=d2u/dx2, u(0,t)=0, u(pi,t)=0. The initial condition is that u(x,0)=sin^2(x) 0<x<pi. Find the solution to the initial condition and find the Fourier sine coefficients for sin^2(x).
Gekko

Homework Statement

du/dt=d2u/dx2, u(0,t)=0, u(pi,t)=0

u(x,0) = sin^2(x) 0<x<pi

Find the solution

Also find the solution to the initial condition:

du/dt u(x,0) = sin^2(x) 0<x<pi

The Attempt at a Solution

From separation of variables I obtain

u(x,t) = B.e^(-L^2t).sin(Lx)

For the boundary condition u(pi,t)=0, u(x,t) = Bm . e^(-m^2t) . sin(mx)

Finally for u(x,0) = sin^2x

u(x,0) = 4(cos(m.pi)-1).e^(-m^2t).sinmx / pi(m^3-4m)
found through superposition and Fourier sum of sines

What I don't see is how to solve the initial condition because when I diff. above wrt t and set t-0 I obtain

du/dt u(x,0) = -m^2 4(cos(m.pi)-1).e^(-m^2t).sinmx / pi(m^3-4m) = sin^2x

How can this be set to sin^2x by choosing a value of m?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are talking about here. You understand that these are two different problems, don't you? You solution "for u(x,0) = sin^2x

u(x,0) = 4(cos(m.pi)-1).e^(-m^2t).sinmx / pi(m^3-4m)" is a sum isn't it?

That is
[tex]u(x, t)= \sum_{m=1}^\infty e^{-m^2t}(4(cos(m.pi)-1).e^(-m^2t).sinmx / pi(m^3-4m))[/tex].

Now, with initial condition [tex]u_t(x, 0)= sin^2(x)[/tex] you must have
[tex]u_t(x, 0)= \sum_{n=1}^\infty -m^2 B_m sin(mx)= sin^2(x)[/tex]

Find Fourier sine coefficients for [itex]sin^2(x)[/itex] and solve for [itex]B_m[/itex].

Gekko said:
From separation of variables I obtain

u(x,t) = B.e^(-L^2t).sin(Lx)

For the boundary condition u(pi,t)=0, u(x,t) = Bm . e^(-m^2t) . sin(mx)
Just to be clear, separation of variables gives you

[tex]u(x,t) = e^{-L^2t}(A\cos Lx + B\sin Lx)[/tex]

Then applying the boundary condition u(0,t)=0 gives you A=0, and applying the condition u(π,t)=0 requires L be an integer.

Understood now. Thanks a lot for clearing that up

What is the heat equation and why is it important in science?

The heat equation is a partial differential equation that describes how heat is distributed and transferred in a given system. It is important in science because it allows us to model and understand how heat behaves in various physical systems, such as heat conduction in materials or the temperature changes in a fluid.

What is separation of variables and how is it used in solving the heat equation?

Separation of variables is a mathematical technique used to solve partial differential equations, including the heat equation. It involves breaking down a multi-variable equation into simpler single-variable equations and then solving them separately.

What are the boundary conditions and initial conditions in the heat equation?

Boundary conditions refer to the conditions at the boundaries of a system, such as the temperature at the edges of a material. Initial conditions refer to the temperature distribution within a system at the starting time. Both of these conditions are necessary for solving the heat equation.

What are the limitations of using separation of variables to solve the heat equation?

One limitation is that it can only be used for certain types of boundary conditions, such as those that are linear or periodic. Additionally, it may not always provide an exact solution, and numerical methods may be needed to approximate the solution.

How is the heat equation used in real-world applications?

The heat equation has many practical applications, such as predicting the temperature distribution in buildings or in the Earth's crust. It is also used in engineering for designing and optimizing heat transfer systems, such as in refrigeration or heating systems. Additionally, it is used in physics and chemistry to model and understand thermal processes in various materials and systems.