1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat exchange: Water to water through jacketed pipe

1. Jul 7, 2014 #1
    Edit: I've realized that it's not called a 'jacketed pipe', but simply a double pipe heat exchanger. Apologies, English is not my first language.

I have been asked to scour the webs for information about how to calculate the heat exchange in a jacketed stainless steel pipe, with hot water in the inner cylinder and cool, counter-flowing water in the outer cylinder.

I need the information in order to figure out which heat exchange option is better suited for a wastewater-treatment facility.

As it is, the wastewater has a temperature of 90ºC, which cannot be cleaned by the facility. Therefore it needs to be cooled off either way. But rather than simply cooling it off, I am looking to transfer the heat back to the factory so that they can reheat it from as high a temperature as possible.

The wastewater is full of protein, so a plate exchanger is not an option (as it would clog). Seemingly, the best option is to lead the hot wastewater through a jacketed pipe with counterflowing hot wastewater and cool water (wastewater is ~90ºC, cool water is ~5ºC).

Before ordering a heat-exchanger I would like to have a better understanding of the calculations used to determine the exchange of heat, and so as to know what result I can expect.

Any responses are much appreciated - especially quick ones, as this is a bit of a rushed matter.

Thanks,
    Skafsgaard

Last edited: Jul 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 7, 2014 #2

Baluncore

Science Advisor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook