What is the energy loss per second for a wall with two different materials?

In summary, by using the equation Q/t=(A*delta T)/(L/k) and finding the equivalent thermal conduction resistance, we can determine the energy loss per second through a wall composed of two materials with different thicknesses and thermal conductivities. In this case, the energy loss was found to be 318 watts.
dalitwil
A wall is composed of two materials. Material 1 has a thickness of 7.21 cm and a thermal conductivity of 0.1 while material 2 has a thickness of 6.57 cm and a conductivity of 1. If the temperature difference inside to outside is 25 Co and the wall has an area of 10 m2, what is the energy loss per second to the nearest watt?

My work:
Q1=kA (deltaT/L)t
=(.1)(10)(25/0.0721)t
=346.7t

Q2=kA (deltaT/L)t
=(1)(10)(25/0.0657)t
=3805.2

Qtotal = Q1+Q2
= 346+3805
=4151W

The answer is 318. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I found the equation i was supposed to use:

Q/t=(A*delta T)/(L/k)

But it still didn't work out. :yuck: Please help!

Make sure your units are correct. I am going to have to assume which ones you are using since you do not state them.

First, find the equivilent thermal conduction resistance, U by using:
[tex]U=\frac{1}{\frac{L_A}{K_A} + \frac{L_B}{K_B}}[/tex]

[tex]U= \frac{1}{\frac{.0721}{0.1} + \frac{.0657}{1.0}}[/tex]

[tex]U= 1.271 \frac{W}{m^2 * C}[/tex]

Now use Newton's Law of Cooling in the form of:

[tex]q_x=UA \Delta T[/tex]

[tex]q_x=(1.271 \frac{W}{m^2 *C})(10 m^2)(25 C)[/tex]

[tex]q_x = 317.8 W = 318 W[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is heat flow with two materials?

Heat flow with two materials is the process of how heat is transferred from one material to another. This can occur through conduction, convection, or radiation.

2. How does the thermal conductivity of the materials affect heat flow?

The thermal conductivity of a material is a measure of how well it can conduct heat. Materials with higher thermal conductivity will transfer heat more easily, resulting in a higher rate of heat flow between the two materials.

3. Can heat flow between two materials be controlled?

Yes, heat flow between two materials can be controlled by adjusting the temperature difference between the two materials or by using insulating materials to reduce the rate of heat transfer.

4. How does the thickness of the materials affect heat flow?

The thickness of the materials can affect heat flow by increasing or decreasing the distance that heat must travel between the two materials. Thicker materials will have a lower rate of heat flow compared to thinner materials.

5. What are some real-life applications of heat flow with two materials?

Heat flow with two materials is used in various applications, such as building insulation, thermal insulation in appliances, heat exchangers, and electronics. It is also important in understanding climate change and the transfer of heat between the Earth's surface and the atmosphere.