1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat flux through wall question

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I was given this question.

The wall of a building is constructed of face brick (10cm thick) and concrete block (50 cm thick) with an air filled cavity (5cm thick). The interior and exterior convection coefficients are 8.3 W.m^-2.K^_1 and 35W.m^-2.K^_1 respectively. The brick thermal conductivity is 0.79W.m^-1.K^_1 , the concrete block 1.63W.m^-1.K^_1, and the air cavity 0.26W.m^-1.K^_1. If the ambient air temperature is -10 degrees celsius and the room air temperature is 21 degrees Celsius, what will be the Heat flux through the wall.

2. Relevant equations
    I know that Rtotal is equal to 1/h-inA + L1/k1A + ... + Ln/knA + 1/h-outA (h= Heat transfer coefficient, k= thermal conductivity, L=length, A=area)

Heat transfer rate = (t1-t2)/Rtotal

Heat flux = Heat transfer rate/Area

3. The attempt at a solution
    The problem is that these are all the values I was given. I wasn't given any dimensions for the wall other than the thickness so I can't Calculate the area. Is this a mistake in the question or am I supposed to do it another way?
    I attempted a solution by filling in all the values given in the relevant places but had to stop when I got to the area.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why don't you work the problem assuming a unit area for the wall (say 1 m2).

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    The Heat Flux is defined as the heat flow per unit area.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted