Heat from resistance in a circuit

In summary, the OP found that it would take 146,650 Joules of energy to heat a cup of coffee using a resistor and 12 volts. This would require fairly hefty cables and a very high resistance, as the current would be high and could damage the battery.
usafarox
So, I've been working on a problem mostly to figure out how heating a cup of coffee works and am kind of lost now.

I set up my problem like this. I figured 0.5 L of water would be an okay amount to use and made a fictional simple circuit of a 12 V battery and a resistor with a resistance of R = 0.2 ohms. I'm trying to figure out how long it would take to heat that water a change of 70 K. I'm keeping it simple by not having it go through any phase shifts.

The first thing I did was find out how many J of energy it would actually take to raise water 70k. After I did the # crunching (.05 kg * (4190j/kg K)*70K) and came up with a whopping 146,650 J of energy required.

This is where I start to get lost though, as I am not that great with circuits. How do I figure out how many joules of heat energy that resistor in that circuit will give off?

I know current = Potential V / Resistance. but I don't really know if that applies here...Any ideas on how I can figure out how to find out how many J's of energy the resistor in this circuit gives off a minute if it were placed in the water?

Physics news on Phys.org
You added a zero to your computation somehow - it's 14,650 J.

For the heat dissipation of the circuit, you need watts (J/s) and watts is volts times amps.

You need the power relationships:

P = IE = I 2 R

Current in Amps and Voltage in volts, Resistance in Ohms give power in watts.

Or in a more useful form P = V^2/R

Remember that although R of the resitor is only 0.2 Ohm, you also have the R of the power cables and the connectors, it's going to be difficult to make connections with a resistance much lower than 0.2 Ohm.

If you are planning to actually build this, V=IR so I=V/R with a 12V battery and R=0.2 that's 60 Amps which is going to require some fairly hefty cables and will probably damage the battery if you run it for more than a few minutes.

hey..try this fromula...Q=iirt...(i square rt)...it says the amount of heat required

russ_watters said:
You added a zero to your computation somehow - it's 14,650 J.

For the heat dissipation of the circuit, you need watts (J/s) and watts is volts times amps.

I think the OP was correct. I have (roughly) 4.2 J / (K*g) * 70K * 500g = 147000 Joules.

EDIT: If you use P = I^2 * R, and you use a 12V battery which somehow can supply 60 Amps of current indefinitely, then it will take about 200 seconds to heat your water (if its insulated perfectly) by 70 degrees. 200 seconds seems like a valid answer.

1. How does heat from resistance in a circuit affect the overall efficiency of the circuit?

The heat generated from resistance in a circuit can decrease the overall efficiency of the circuit. This is because the heat is a byproduct of energy being lost through resistance, which means that less energy is available for the intended use of the circuit.

2. Is the amount of heat produced by resistance in a circuit dependent on the type of material used?

Yes, the amount of heat produced by resistance in a circuit is dependent on the type of material used. Different materials have different resistances, which means that they will produce different amounts of heat when an electric current passes through them.

3. Can heat from resistance in a circuit be beneficial in any way?

Yes, heat from resistance in a circuit can be beneficial in certain cases. For example, it can be used to heat up a device or component in the circuit, such as a heater or a light bulb. However, in most cases, this heat is considered to be wasted energy.

4. How can heat from resistance in a circuit be managed or reduced?

To manage or reduce the heat from resistance in a circuit, there are a few options. One is to use materials with lower resistances, which will produce less heat. Another is to increase the size of the wires in the circuit, as thicker wires have lower resistances and can dissipate heat more effectively. Additionally, adding a heat sink or a cooling system can help dissipate the heat from the circuit.

5. Is there a limit to how much heat can be produced from resistance in a circuit?

Yes, there is a limit to how much heat can be produced from resistance in a circuit. This limit is determined by the maximum temperature that the materials in the circuit can withstand before being damaged. If the heat produced exceeds this limit, it can cause the circuit to fail or even lead to a fire.