Heat of Formation for Ammonium chloride

  • Thread starter Thread starter twilliams34
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Formation Heat
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
1 reply · 15K views
twilliams34
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



The problem statement is to find the heat of formation of NH4CL using the calculated variables and two more reactions.
If I calculated it correctly the HF for ammonia plus hydrochloric acid to be -247.7kj/mol. I am not sure what else it is that I need to do.


Homework Equations



I am not sure how I am supposed to calculate delta H to begin with, I think that's where my problems are laying at the moment.

The Attempt at a Solution

 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ok I think I figured out what you did. It looks like you just added the heats of formation and aqueous heats of solution for ammonia and hydrogen chloride to get that number. What you need to do is use Hess’s Law: find the heat of reaction between gaseous ammonia and hydrogen chloride and then add these to the heats of formation of the reagents. This should give the correct answer.