Heat Pump Coefficient Question

In summary: C.O.P.) is 17% of the maximum achievable. This can be determined by multiplying the maximum C.O.P. by .17. At this point, the heat pump is no longer able to efficiently heat the house to 20◦C.
rvaafrica
1. You have a heat pump which has a coefficient of performance (C.O.P.) that is 17% of the maximum achievable. You want to heat your house to 20◦C. At what outside temperature does the heat pump become not useful?

2. C.O.P. = 1/(T1/T0 - 1)
T1= Temperature of the outside
T0 = Temperature of the house

3. Hi. Basically I am NOT looking for someone to give me an answer. I would just like some help on how to approach this problem. I know how to solve for T1 if they give the maximum C.O.P but I am stuck on how to complete this problem since the max. C.O.P is not given. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
rvaafrica said:
1. You have a heat pump which has a coefficient of performance (C.O.P.) that is 17% of the maximum achievable. You want to heat your house to 20◦C. At what outside temperature does the heat pump become not useful?
2. C.O.P. = 1/(T1/T0 - 1)
T1= Temperature of the outside
T0 = Temperature of the house

3. Hi. Basically I am NOT looking for someone to give me an answer. I would just like some help on how to approach this problem. I know how to solve for T1 if they give the maximum C.O.P but I am stuck on how to complete this problem since the max. C.O.P is not given. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The equation for COP gives you the maximum (Carnot) COP. (Note: the denominator should be (1 - T1/T0)). Just multiply the maximum COP by .17

What is the value of COP at which the heat pump stops being useful?

AM

1. What is a heat pump coefficient of performance (COP)?

The heat pump COP is a measure of the efficiency of a heat pump system. It is the ratio of the amount of heat energy transferred by the heat pump to the amount of energy consumed by the heat pump.

2. How is the COP calculated?

The COP is calculated by dividing the heat output by the energy input. In the case of a heat pump, the heat output is the amount of heat energy transferred into a space, and the energy input is the amount of electricity consumed by the heat pump.

3. What is a good COP for a heat pump?

A good COP for a heat pump is typically considered to be above 3. This means that for every unit of energy consumed, the heat pump can transfer 3 or more units of heat energy into the space. However, the actual COP can vary depending on factors such as the outside temperature and the type of heat pump.

4. How does the COP affect the cost of running a heat pump?

A higher COP means that the heat pump is more efficient and can transfer more heat energy into the space for the same amount of energy consumption. This can result in lower energy bills and cost savings in the long run.

5. Can the COP of a heat pump be improved?

Yes, the COP of a heat pump can be improved through regular maintenance, proper sizing and installation, and using it in the most efficient way. It is also important to choose a heat pump with a high COP rating to begin with.