Can a heat pump function without an evaporator and condenser?

In summary, a mechanical engineer is designing a prototype for a system that uses a heat pump to move heat between two process tanks. They want to use an off-the-shelf heat pump and have the process tanks serve as the evaporator and condenser. However, bypassing the condensing and evaporating coils in the heat pump will not work, as a heat pump requires both components to function properly. It is equivalent to trying to drive a car without a gearbox or wheels. To avoid potential issues with the heat pump, the engineer can instead submerge the evaporator and condenser directly in the liquid in the process tanks.
Roy Green
I am a mechanical eningeer, designing a prototype for a system in which a heat pump moves heat between two process tanks with built in heat exchangers. I want to use an off the shelf heat pump but I want the process tanks to be the evaporator and condensor.

If I buy a heat pump and bypass its condensing coil using 1 of my tanks and bypass its evapourating coil with my other tank, how likley is the heatpump to work (its for a miniture prototype so it merley needs to work ok, doesn't matter if it shortens the life of the compressor).

Engineering news on Phys.org
Roy Green said:
If I buy a heat pump and bypass its condensing coil using 1 of my tanks and bypass its evapourating coil with my other tank, how likley is the heatpump to work (its for a miniture prototype so it merley needs to work ok, doesn't matter if it shortens the life of the compressor).

It will not work at all. A heat pump must have an evaporator and condenser, you can not 'bypass' either one of them. Would your car work if you 'bypass' the gearbox or wheels?

If you are not worried about the heat pump then submerge the evaporator & condenser directly in the liquid in the process tanks.

1. What is a heat pump and how does it work?

A heat pump is an energy-efficient heating and cooling system that transfers heat from one place to another, instead of generating heat directly. It works by extracting heat from the air, water, or ground outside your home and transferring it inside, or vice versa for cooling. This is accomplished through a refrigerant cycle and a compressor that compresses and expands the refrigerant to absorb and release heat.

2. Can a heat pump be customised to fit my home's heating and cooling needs?

Yes, heat pumps can be customised to fit the specific heating and cooling needs of your home. This can be achieved through selecting the appropriate size and type of heat pump, as well as any additional features or accessories that may be needed for your home's unique layout or climate.

3. What are the benefits of customising a heat pump?

Customising a heat pump allows you to tailor the system to your home's specific needs, resulting in better efficiency and cost savings. It also ensures that the heat pump is properly sized for your home, preventing potential issues such as frequent cycling or inadequate heating/cooling.

4. Is professional installation required for customised heat pumps?

Yes, it is recommended to have a professional HVAC technician install a customised heat pump to ensure proper sizing, installation, and functionality. They will also be able to provide guidance on the best options for your home and ensure that the heat pump is installed safely and correctly.

5. Can a heat pump be customised for both heating and cooling?

Yes, heat pumps can be customised to provide both heating and cooling for your home. This can be achieved through selecting a heat pump with a reversible cycle, also known as a "heat pump with auxiliary heat." This type of heat pump can switch between heating and cooling modes, providing year-round comfort for your home.