1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat removed from a gas in a cylinder

1. Feb 15, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A piston (with an area of 3.14 x 10^-2 m/s^2) is pushing down on a vertical cylinder (with a pressure of 1.01 x 10^5 Pa) which contains an monotomic ideal gas. 2093 J of heat is removed from the gas.
    Ignoring the mass of the piston or friction, find how far the piston has dropped.

2. Relevant equations

I believe that I will have to use Uf-Ui = Q - w,

but I have already figured that the process would have to be isobaric, whoch is goverend by the equation W = P (Vf-Vi), which can be suited to our needs by using distance multiplied by area for the volume, so
    W = P A(change in d)

Im wondering if I am going to have to use formulas related to specific heat capacities, but Im not quite sure. Any ideas?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2007 #2

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(hint: when you see "monatomic" or "diatomic" mentioned in a problem there is likely going to be an issue involving heat capacity). You don't have to calculate the work done here.

This is an isobaric process since the force on the cylinder does not change. So how is T related to V?

If you remove 2093 J. how much does the temperature change? Work out final V from that.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?