Possible webpage title: Calculating Heat Needed for a Reaction (Q10)

• Thread starter jack1234
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
The closest I get is 205.5 kJ.In summary, the correct calculation for the heat needed in this question is 209100 J, which is equivalent to 205.5 kJ. One possible mistake could be the use of incorrect units in the calculation.
jack1234
Heat that needed(q10)

For this question:
http://tinyurl.com/2leprw

Followed is my working

Q=m_w*c_w*deltaT + m_w*L_f + m_w*c_i*deltaT
=m_w[
c_w*deltaT +
L_f +
c_i*deltaT
]
=2*(10^3)g [
1 cal/(g*celcius) * 20 celcius +
(3.33*(10^5)*0.2389/1000)calories/g +
0.5 cal/(g*celcius) * 10 celcius
]
=209100J

And this is not one of the choices...
Can anybody kindly pointed out what is my mistake?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well the choice of answers are in kcal rather than J.

Q=m_w*c_w*deltaT + m_w*L_f + m_w*c_i*deltaT

is correct. M = 2000 g (2 kg) so

Q = 2000 g ( c_w*c_w*deltaT + L_f + c_i*deltaT)

= 2000 g ( 1 cal/(g-°C) * 20°C + 79.7 cal/g + 0.5 (cal/g°C) * 10°C)

Be careful with conversions, and please show units.

Using the values you've given even I don't get an answer that's on the sheet.

Related to Possible webpage title: Calculating Heat Needed for a Reaction (Q10)

What is Q10 and why is it important in solving heat needed?

Q10 is a measure of the rate at which a biological or chemical process changes with a 10°C difference in temperature. It is important in solving heat needed because it helps us understand the relationship between temperature and the rate of a reaction or process.

How do you calculate Q10?

To calculate Q10, you need to know the initial rate of the process or reaction at a certain temperature, and then the rate at a temperature 10°C higher. Q10 can then be calculated by dividing the rate at the higher temperature by the rate at the lower temperature.

What are some factors that can affect Q10?

The factors that can affect Q10 include the type of reaction or process being studied, the type of organism or system being studied, and the temperature range being examined. Other factors such as pH, enzyme or substrate concentration, and presence of inhibitors can also influence Q10.

Why is it important to understand Q10 in biological systems?

Understanding Q10 in biological systems can help us understand how organisms and biochemical processes respond to changes in temperature. This information can be valuable in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and ecology, as it can help us predict and manage the effects of temperature on living organisms.

How can Q10 be used in practical applications?

Q10 can be used in practical applications such as determining the optimal temperature for enzyme activity, predicting the effects of temperature on crop growth, and understanding the impact of temperature on animal behavior. It can also be used in industrial processes to optimize reaction rates and efficiency.