Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A Heat transaction of a non-ideal gas

1. Jul 6, 2016 #1
    Here I want to know how to find the heat interactions of non-ideal gases in the following processes.
    1. Isobaric process
    2. Isochoric process

I know that internal energy U depends on temperature and volume. And the enthalpy depends on temperature and pressure.
    How calculation of heat transaction can be calculated? and what's the connection between following taylor series expansion with calculating the heat interaction.

U(T,V)
    U(T+T, V+V) = U(T,V) + ∂u/∂ t |v * T + ∂u/∂v |T * V + Higher Terms

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 6, 2016 #2
    Why don't use the heat capacities of the gases, as functions of T and P?
    Are talking about actual gases or just about a model of non-ideal gas (like Van der Waals)?
    If it's a specific gas (like nitrogen) you may need to find some actual values of parameters for that gas rather than using a general formula.
    Here is a paper that may help.
    http://journals.aps.org/pr/pdf/10.1103/PhysRev.34.1615 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  4. Jul 6, 2016 #3
    You would like to have an equation for calculating the changes internal energy with changes in temperature and volume for a non-ideal gas. Is that correct? In this equation, you would like everything expressed in terms of known functions like heat capacity and p-v-T behavior?

5. Jul 6, 2016 #4
    Yes :)

6. Jul 6, 2016 #5
    This article cannot be read. Should I buy this?

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2017
  7. Jul 6, 2016 #6
    No, you should be able to find other articles that have free access. I don't think this is a very rare topic.

8. Jul 6, 2016 #7
    The following equation is in every thermo book:
    $$dU=C_vdT-\left[P-T\left(\frac{\partial P}{\partial T}\right)_V\right]dV$$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted