Heat Transfer Calculation for Vapor Flow in a Cylinder-Piston System

In summary, the problem involves a tank A with a volume of 100 L containing saturated vapor R-134a at 30˚C, connected to cylinder B with a piston that requires a pressure of 200 kPa to raise it. The process ends when the pressure in tank A falls to 200 kPa and heat is transferred with the surroundings to keep the R-134a at 30˚C. The task is to calculate the heat transfer for the process. The student is unsure of where to start and has not provided enough information, such as whether they have been using tables to solve similar problems. A picture of the problem has been attached.
marquis24

Homework Statement

A tank A is connected to a cylinder/piston as shown. The tank has a volume of 100 L and contains saturated vapor R-134a at 30˚C. When the valve is cracked open, the vapor slowly flows into the cylinder B. The piston requires a pressure of 200 kPa in the cylinder to raise it. The process ends when the pressure in tank A has fallen to 200 kPa. During the process, heat is transferred with the surroundings such that the R-134a always remains at 30˚C. Calculate the heat transfer for the process. (101.3 kJ)

Homework Equations

E2-E1 = Q - W
Work = Pressure * Change in volume

The Attempt at a Solution

i know that the Temp remains at 30˚C throughout the process
volume = 100 L

My question is i never know where to start with these types of problems

Physics news on Phys.org
Am I correct in assuming that you have been working with tables? The ones that give all kinds of information about various substances at various states. Such as U, H, v, T...

Is there any way you could take a picture of the problem or scan and upload it?

picture is attached as a file

Attachments

• SP 10.JPG
    SP 10.JPG
    7.5 KB · Views: 504
You need to include a little more information. There are too many different ways to solve these and you still have not answered my question: are you studying tables? If, so what do you know from the tables? If not, what methods have you been using.

1. What is heat transfer and why is it important in a water tank?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or substance to another. In a water tank, heat transfer is important because it affects the temperature of the water and can impact the efficiency and effectiveness of the tank's heating or cooling system.

2. What are the different methods of heat transfer in a water tank?

The three main methods of heat transfer in a water tank are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. How does the design of a water tank affect heat transfer?

The design of a water tank can greatly impact heat transfer. Factors such as the material of the tank, its insulation, and its surface area can all affect how quickly heat is transferred in or out of the tank. A well-insulated tank with a smaller surface area will have slower heat transfer compared to a poorly insulated tank with a larger surface area.

4. How can I improve the heat transfer in my water tank?

There are a few ways to improve heat transfer in a water tank. Adding insulation to the tank can help reduce heat loss and increase efficiency. Installing a heat exchanger or using a recirculation system can also improve heat transfer by actively moving the water and promoting even distribution of heat. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the tank can also help improve heat transfer by removing any buildup or debris that may be hindering heat transfer.

5. What factors can affect the rate of heat transfer in a water tank?

The rate of heat transfer in a water tank can be affected by several factors, including the temperature difference between the water and its surroundings, the material and thickness of the tank walls, the type and amount of insulation, and the presence of any obstructions or barriers that may impede heat transfer. Other factors such as the type of heating or cooling system and the usage patterns of the water can also impact the rate of heat transfer.