How much heat is transferred by a waterfall in a swimming pool?

In summary, the user is seeking help in determining the effectiveness of a waterfall feature in cooling a swimming pool. They have provided various measurements such as the waterfall width, height, thickness, flow rate, and temperatures of the water and air. They have also mentioned using Newton's law of cooling, but have encountered a problem with the Heat Transfer Coefficient. The user has received advice to consider the wet bulb temperature instead of the air temperature and has provided an approximate area for the waterfall.
M.Sabbarini
Hello,
I have a swimming pool with a waterfall feature.
I need to know how much does the waterfall contributes to cooling the pool.
I tried to use Newton's law of cooling, but I have a problem with the Heat Transfer Coefficient in this case.

Following are the Givens:
Waterfall Width= 5m
Waterfall Height= 1m
Waterfall Thickness= 1cm
Waterfall Flow Rate= 100 m3/Hr
Water Temperature= 26 C
Air Temperature= 20 C

I need to Find Q (in Watts).

Could someone help.
Many Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
One or two "faces" to the "fall?"

Welcome to PF.

This isn't an easy problem. The effectiveness of the waterfall in cooling the water in it is pretty difficult to determine. 25%? 50%? Definitely not any better than that, but it depends on factors like geometry and wind. I'd probably guess 25% for a ballpark, if it isn't a dense stream.

What I can tell you is you are using the wrong temperature. A waterfall (cooling tower) will cool the water down to the wet bulb temperature of the air. So that's what you need to calculate your approach against.

An easy way to get the wet bulb temperature is to check the weather at you nearby airport. Every hour (or sooner) they report wind, visibility, cloud coverage, temperature, dewpoint (wet bulb temp), and the altimeter setting. Most airport weather stations have a local phone number you can call just to receive the weather report. These stations are called an AWOS or ASOS.

Hello,
Thank you all, and thanks for pointing out the wet bulb temperature.

The water fall is two faces, so approximate area of both sides is 10 m2.

Thanks

1. What is the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient is a measure of the ability of a material to transfer heat through conduction, convection, or radiation. It is defined as the amount of heat that is transferred through a material per unit time, per unit area, and per unit temperature difference.

2. How is the heat transfer coefficient calculated?

The heat transfer coefficient is calculated by dividing the heat flux (heat transfer per unit area) by the temperature difference between the two materials. It can also be calculated using experimental data, such as measuring the temperature change of a material over a given time period.

3. What factors affect the heat transfer coefficient?

The heat transfer coefficient is affected by several factors, including the thermal properties of the materials involved, the temperature difference between the two materials, the surface area and geometry of the materials, and the presence of any insulation or barriers.

4. How is the heat transfer coefficient used in engineering and science?

The heat transfer coefficient is an important parameter in many engineering and scientific applications, such as designing efficient heating and cooling systems, predicting the performance of thermal insulation materials, and studying the effects of heat transfer on industrial processes.

5. How can the heat transfer coefficient be improved?

The heat transfer coefficient can be improved by using materials with higher thermal conductivity, increasing the surface area of the materials, and minimizing the temperature difference between the materials. Additionally, insulation materials can be used to reduce heat transfer and increase efficiency.