Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer in Neutron Stars

1. Feb 4, 2008 #1
    Not sure where to put this post, care more about whats happening on atomic scaI le so i put it here.

I am currently taking Heat transfer for engineers and we were discussing the mechanicals for heat transfer, conduction, convection, raditation. In class my professor said that conduction is depend upon electrons/bond type with in the materials.

Correct me if I am wrong, but neurton stars are giant nucli. So how would this effect heat transfer with in the star (beside raditation).
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 4, 2008 #2
    For regular materials, it's right that the thermal conductivity depends on electron shell parameters. In neutron stars, particles are very much closers, so I think those particles are in charge of thermal conduction. Which forces hold them together will do the job, so probably, the thernal conductivity is higher than that of a normal material.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?