Why Does the Stefan-Boltzmann Law Use Temperature to the Fourth Power?

In summary, the problem involves a sphere with a radius of 1/2 meter, temperature of 27*C and emissivity of 0.85, located in an environment with a temperature of 77*C. Using the equations for heat transfer by radiation and absorption, the net flow of energy transferred in 1 second can be calculated. The Stefan-Boltzmann law, which involves temperatures to the fourth power, explains the relationship between temperature and energy transfer in this situation.
teggenspiller

Homework Statement

a sphere of radius 1/2meter, temperature 27*C, and emmisisvity 0.85 is located in an environment of 77*C. What is net flow of energy transferred in 1 second.

Homework Equations

So in my notes i have notes that say "heat transfer by radiation":
P= stefans constant * Area sphere * emisivity * T^4

stef's constant= 5.67*10^-8 W/m^2 K^4
A= area
T= absolute kelvin temp
e= emmisivity
and Area of Sphere= 4*pi*r^2

and "Heat by absorbtion"
when i suppose by Conservation energy these values would be equal..
however the equation is the same except for the T values show

T^4- Te^4

Te= temp of the environment

The Attempt at a Solution

As i have been writing this i realized where I went wrong. I used Celcius temps instead of KELVIN temps! however, can anyone explain to me/give me an example that i can think of, why the Temperatures are to the FOURTh power? that certainly seems like a alot...?

Physics news on Phys.org
when i suppose by Conservation energy these values would be equal..
however the equation is the same except for the T values show

No, the two values should definitely not be equal. The sphere's temperature is less than that of the environment, meaning the environment will transfer energy to the sphere until the two temperatures equalize.

As i have been writing this i realized where I went wrong. I used Celcius temps instead of KELVIN temps! however, can anyone explain to me/give me an example that i can think of, why the Temperatures are to the FOURTh power? that certainly seems like a alot...?

The Stefan-Boltzmann law comes from integrating Planck's law over all frequencies and all solid angles. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stefan–Boltzmann_law#Derivation_of_the_Stefan.E2.80.93Boltzmann_law

Related to Why Does the Stefan-Boltzmann Law Use Temperature to the Fourth Power?

1. What is heat transfer?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or medium to another. This can occur through three main mechanisms: conduction, convection, and radiation.

2. How does conduction work in heat transfer?

Conduction is the transfer of heat through a material or between two objects in direct contact. This occurs when the molecules in a material vibrate and transfer their energy to neighboring molecules, resulting in a transfer of thermal energy.

3. What is convection in heat transfer?

Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of a fluid, such as air or water. This occurs when warmer, less dense fluid rises and is replaced by cooler, denser fluid, creating a continuous circulation of thermal energy.

4. How does Stefan's law relate to heat transfer?

Stefan's law, also known as the Stefan-Boltzmann law, describes the relationship between the temperature and the total energy radiated by a blackbody object. This law is important in understanding the amount of thermal radiation emitted or absorbed by objects, and how it affects heat transfer.

5. Can heat transfer occur in a vacuum?

Yes, heat transfer can occur in a vacuum through the process of radiation. This is because radiation does not require a medium to transfer thermal energy, allowing heat to be transferred through empty space.