Heat transfer within a laptop computer from CPU and GPU

In summary, a laptop's heat pipe is not perfect and both the CPU and GPU will get hotter as the power difference between them increases.
warfreak131
Hello all

I have a practical question regarding heat transfer within my laptop. My laptop uses a shared-heatpipe design, meaning that my CPU and GPU are connected by a common piece of copper, and then each chip goes off to its own heatsink/fan.

While playing games, I was monitoring the temperatures of both chips, and the CPU was reaching much higher temperatures than the GPU (~20 degrees C). If they are connected with a common piece of heat transferring material, shouldn't both chips equalize in temperatures?

Science news on Phys.org
warfreak131 said:
If they are connected with a common piece of heat transferring material, shouldn't both chips equalize in temperatures?

Not entirely. If the CPU makes more power, the heat flow out of the CPU must increase. Heat flow is proportional to temperature difference, so the CPU local temperature must increase. The heat pipe helps reduce the difference, but it can't eliminate it.

No. The heat pipe is likely a literal pipe, with a refrigerant in it (it may just be water/water vapor). Each component will receive the same inlet refrigerant temp and each will output it's own different refrigerant temp, which will combine (average) to get the final refrigerant temp. And none of the refrigerant temps will match either chip temp (heat will not flow unless the chips are hotter than the refrigerant).

anorlunda said:
Not entirely. If the CPU makes more power, the heat flow out of the CPU must increase. Heat flow is proportional to temperature difference, so the CPU local temperature must increase. The heat pipe helps reduce the difference, but it can't eliminate it.

So theoretically would a heatpipe with a higher thermal conductivity result in a lower differential?

warfreak131 said:
So theoretically would a heatpipe with a higher thermal conductivity result in a lower differential?
I would have thought a greater temperature difference. In the limit, with a perfect heat sink system, the temperature of each processor would be set by the thermal contact between the processor itself and the pipe; the pipe being at the outside temperature. For a very poor pipe, the two processors could have more thermal coupling between them than with the outside world so their temperatures would be near equal.

warfreak131 said:

Yes.

But also pay attention to what @sophiecentaur said. The thermal conductivity between each device and the heat pipe is not perfect either.

Likes sophiecentaur
russ_watters said:
The heat pipe is likely a literal pipe, with a refrigerant in it (it may just be water/water vapor).
Refrigerants aren't used in normal consumer level laptop heat pipes. The heat pipes are generally just solid bars of copper. [edit: oops, they aren't solid. Heat pipes do have fluid inside. I was totally wrong.]
Some extreme high-end desktop systems do use water cooled systems, but they are too clunky to put in a laptop.

Last edited:
Khashishi said:
but they are too clunky to put in a laptop.
Clunky? Just too expensive surely. They are thinner that the equivalent copper rods.

Likes russ_watters
Clunky? No. Here are some specs for a heat pipe that costs about $15 each.
  • diameter of 6mm
  • 3mm thickness
  • Copper with water coolant
  • Thermal resistance of pipe Rpipe range from 0.003K/W to 0.008K/W
  • Maximum operating power of 40W

But to make it robust enough to not leak in a portable device would make it clunky.

warfreak131 said:
It should, yes. Or just higher heat transfer capacity (like from a bigger fan). The temps should come down in proportion to each other.

Khashishi said:
Refrigerants aren't used in normal consumer level laptop heat pipes. The heat pipes are generally just solid bars of copper.
Interesting/surprising. seems like a misuse of the term (seeing it a lot on google).

Looking at pictures, it appears to be some of each. Round tubes with pinched ends would be pipes. Flatter, with rounded ends would be bars.

I see an alienware with pipes. I have a Dell inspiron gaming laptop that looks modeled after alienware (which I think dell owns).

Khashishi said:
But to make it robust enough to not leak in a portable device would make it clunky.
There are many hits if you Google "Laptop heat pipe" so I think you must be wrong about what those copper rods in laptops consist of. They are referred to as heat pipes and not heat sinks or copper bars so there is little doubt that they are heat pipes. There are many other more vulnerable parts in your average laptop. The thermal conductance of a heat pipe is pretty stunning and a lot better than a 10mm wide copper bar.
The normal heat carrier in heat pipes has usually been water because it is very effective - as in car engines and especially in high power (vapour phase) radio transmitting valves.

Last edited:
Likes anorlunda
Sorry, I was wrong on this.

Likes sophiecentaur

1. How does heat transfer occur within a laptop computer from the CPU and GPU?

Heat transfer within a laptop occurs through three main mechanisms: convection, conduction, and radiation. The CPU and GPU generate heat through their operations, which is then transferred to the surrounding air through convection. The heat is also conducted through the metal components of the laptop, such as the heat sink and heat pipes, and then dissipated into the air. Finally, a small amount of heat is also radiated from the laptop's surface.

2. What components are responsible for cooling the CPU and GPU in a laptop?

The main components responsible for cooling the CPU and GPU in a laptop are the heat sink, heat pipes, and fans. The heat sink is a metal block with fins that absorb the heat from the CPU and GPU and transfer it to the heat pipes. The heat pipes use a combination of heat conduction and evaporation to dissipate the heat to the surrounding air. The fans then help to circulate the air and remove the heat from the laptop.

3. Can the heat generated by the CPU and GPU cause damage to other components in a laptop?

Yes, excessive heat can damage other components in a laptop, such as the motherboard and hard drive. This is why it is important for laptops to have proper cooling systems in place to prevent overheating. Additionally, high temperatures can also decrease the lifespan and performance of the laptop's components.

4. What are some common methods used to improve heat transfer within a laptop?

One common method is to use thermal paste, which is a heat-conductive material that is applied between the CPU/GPU and the heat sink to improve thermal contact and heat transfer. Another method is to use more efficient cooling systems, such as liquid cooling or larger fans. Additionally, keeping the laptop's vents and airways clean and free of dust can also help to improve heat transfer.

5. How can I monitor the temperature and heat transfer within my laptop?

There are various software programs that can monitor the temperature of your laptop's components, such as the CPU and GPU. Some laptops also have built-in monitoring tools in their BIOS settings. Additionally, you can physically check the temperature of the laptop's surfaces, such as the keyboard and bottom panel, to get an idea of how well the heat is being dissipated.