Solving Heat Transfer Problems - Seeking Help

In summary, the conversation revolves around two physics problems - one involving heat dissipation of a metal rod and the other involving heat flow from a heated surface to the surrounding air. The participants in the conversation ask for help and discuss potential solutions, with the expert summarizer providing key equations and considerations for each problem. The conversation ends with a clarification that the questions are not homework and a positive note on the importance of continuous learning.
CERIBES
Hello Gentlemen,

Long time reader first time poster.

I have a problem that I am trying to solve below.

Problem 1

A metal copper rod say 20mm diameter has a constant heat applied to it of 150°C on one end. Ambient temp of Air is 25°C.

What length rod do I need so the other end is at 50°C one equilibrium is reached?

Problem 2

Also another one that I am looking at is. If the electric stove hot plate is at a constant 100°C area of 100mmX100mm what would be the temperature of the air 200mm above the hot plate using ambient air temp of 25°C again?

They seem like straight forward problems but for the life of me I can't get my head around it. Any help would be appreciate it.

Thank you in advance.

Science news on Phys.org
I sense these are homework problems. Are they? Here are my thoughts on the problems. I don't have them all worked out, but these are some things to consider:

Problem 1: It's a steady-state problem, so the heat flow in must equal the heat flow out. The heat flow due to conduction along the rod must be convected away by the air, so [itex]kA_{xsec}\frac{\partial T}{\partial x} = hA_{surf}(T_{wall}-T_∞)[/itex]. You didn't mention any moving air, so it's a free convection. I'm assuming there's a linear heat gradient across the rod, so [itex]\frac{\partial T}{\partial x} = \frac{dT}{dx} = \frac{T_h-T_c}{L}[/itex]. If you don't have your h for convection, then you have to solve for it using nondimensional numbers like Grashof, Prandtl, Nusselt and such.

Problem 2: This one's a free convection problem with heated surfaces radiating to air. To determine the heat flow out of the plate, we can use an equation derived in Heat Transfer by Holman (p.346) for heated horizontal surfaces facing upward for free convection to air: [itex]h = 1.32\left ( \frac{T_{plate}-T_{air}}{P/A} \right )^{1/4}[/itex], where P is the perimeter of the plate, A is the surface area. Then you can use [itex]q = hA_{surf} (T_{plate}-T_{air})[/itex] to get the heat flow out of the plate. The problem with this kind of analysis is that it's assumed that the temperature above the thermal boundary layer of the plate is the free-stream temperature T (in this case, 25 deg C). Since the plate is radiating upwards, eventually that temperature will change depending on the conduction of heat through the air. You might need to do this numerically to get something exact.

In problem 1, you are dealing with a "cooling fin" situation. Timethereaper is on the right track, but the differential equation is really:

[tex]kA_{xsec}\frac{d^2T}{dx^2}-hP(T-T_{amb})=0[/tex]

where P is the perimeter of the rod. The boundary conditions are T = 150 at x = 0, and zero flux at x = L.

timthereaper said:
I sense these are homework problems. Are they?

Absolutely Not. I am a CNC Machinist by trade and Learning Physics / Match / 3d cad in my spare time. I am one of those that finds TV boring.

Problem 1 came about when heat shrinking inference fit couplers together, so I was curious if there is a simple equation that explain heat dissipation over distance. I just used copper as an example cos its a good heat conductor.

Problem 2 was just my curiosity i thought they would be straight forward to answer but apparently i need to study some advanced topics before I can tackle this.

Chestermiller said:
In problem 1, you are dealing with a "cooling fin" situation.

Yeah, that sounds right. I had a feeling that my equation wasn't the right one.

CERIBES said:
Absolutely Not. I am a CNC Machinist by trade and Learning Physics / Match / 3d cad in my spare time. I am one of those that finds TV boring.

Sorry, my bad. The questions just had that textbook feel to them. +1 for learning in your spare time instead of just TV.

What is heat transfer and why is it important?

Heat transfer is the movement of thermal energy from one object or system to another. It is important because it affects many natural and technological processes, such as the temperature of the Earth's atmosphere, the functioning of engines, and the efficiency of heating and cooling systems.

What are the three modes of heat transfer?

The three modes of heat transfer are conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

How do I solve a heat transfer problem?

To solve a heat transfer problem, you need to use the appropriate equations and formulas for the specific mode of heat transfer involved. This may involve calculating temperatures, heat flux, or thermal conductivity. It is important to clearly identify the given information and what you are trying to solve for in order to apply the correct equations.

What are some common challenges in solving heat transfer problems?

Some common challenges in solving heat transfer problems include identifying the correct mode of heat transfer, understanding and applying the correct equations, and accurately accounting for all relevant variables and boundary conditions. It is also important to carefully consider units and conversions to ensure accurate calculations.

When should I seek help with solving a heat transfer problem?

If you are struggling to understand the concepts or equations involved in a heat transfer problem, or if you have attempted multiple solutions and are still not getting the correct answer, it may be helpful to seek assistance from a teacher, tutor, or fellow scientist. It is important to fully understand the problem and solution process in order to successfully solve heat transfer problems in the future.