Heatwave study may fuel global warming lawsuits

In summary, the article discusses a 2003 heatwave in Europe that may be used as evidence by Pacific islanders and environmentalists in legal cases blaming the United States for global warming. The conversation brings up the question of whether it is fair to sue a nation for global warming and who would be responsible for paying if a suit is successful. Some argue that it is not fair to solely blame the US for global warming and suggest that other countries, such as Europe, Russia, and China, should also be held accountable. However, it is mentioned that some states and cities in the US are already suing power companies for their contribution to global warming. The conversation also brings up the issue of environmentalists opposing nuclear power, which has resulted in coal
loseyourname
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Is this fair?

By Alister Doyle, Environment Correspondent

OSLO, Dec 2 (Reuters) - A study of a 2003 heatwave in Europe may give Pacific islanders and environmentalists new ammunition for legal cases blaming the United States for global warming, advocates said on Thursday.

Full Story

I know this forum is full of arguments over whether or not global warming is even taking place, but even if it can be proven that it is, and that it is largely caused by greenhouse gases, is it fair to sue a nation for that? What is the U.S. doing that 90% of the world wouldn't be doing if it had similar industry? Furthermore, consider who pays if such a suit is successful. Not the companies responsible for greenhouse gases, but the American taxpayers. Has this ever been done before?

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
It's a mad world. Even if it's true, why not sue Europe, Russia China as well as henchmen. You cannot blame everything on the USA. And there isn't even legislation for it.

Now what if islands did not dissapear. Or what if those islands disappeared due to local tectonic subsidence. Sue earth?

loseyourname said:
I know this forum is full of arguments over whether or not global warming is even taking place, but even if it can be proven that it is, and that it is largely caused by greenhouse gases, is it fair to sue a nation for that? What is the U.S. doing that 90% of the world wouldn't be doing if it had similar industry? Furthermore, consider who pays if such a suit is successful. Not the companies responsible for greenhouse gases, but the American taxpayers. Has this ever been done before?
Several things: you don't need a good reason to sue someone and the controversy over global warming would not prevent a jury from deciding against a polluter.

Second, you cannot sue the government - they make the rules, so suing them would be self-contradictory.

BUT, I am quite surprised that every company operating coal-fired power plants in the US hasn't been sued over pollution/global warming.

edit: Perhaps I should have read the article first - I was close, but didn't quite hit it: the article was mostly about foreigners/foreign governments suing the US. I doubt they will succeed.

It does also say that several sates and New York City are suing several power companies. These suits have a pretty good chance of success and that does worry me, because these suits are not helpful: the main reason coal is the US's dominant form of electricity is the environmentalists standing in the way of nuclear power. Organizations like Greenpeace are attacking the power industry on multiple fronts and if they succeed, the result could be crushing to the US and world economy.

Last edited:
The only suit I could see really being fair, in that respect, would be for Canadian lumber or fishing companies to sue coal processors in the Northeast US for the acid rain that has done a lot of damage to plantlife and lakes and rivers in the southeastern provinces of Canada. I would imagine they have lost a good deal of money due to this and at least they have a genuine gripe.

1. What is the purpose of a heatwave study?

A heatwave study is conducted to better understand the effects of rising temperatures on our environment and the potential impacts on human health and well-being. It can also help identify potential causes and contributing factors to heatwaves, such as climate change.

2. How does a heatwave study contribute to the discussion about global warming?

A heatwave study can provide valuable data and evidence to support the idea that global warming is occurring and has the potential to cause serious consequences. By analyzing past heatwaves and predicting future trends, scientists can better understand how global warming is affecting our planet.

3. What role do heatwaves play in global warming lawsuits?

Heatwaves can be used as evidence in lawsuits against companies or governments that are contributing to climate change. The study of heatwaves and their impacts can help build a case for holding these entities accountable for their actions.

4. How can a heatwave study inform policy decisions regarding global warming?

By providing data and evidence, a heatwave study can inform policy decisions related to mitigating and adapting to global warming. It can help policymakers understand the urgency and severity of the issue and make informed decisions on how to address it.

5. What are the potential consequences of not addressing global warming and its link to heatwaves?

If global warming is not addressed and heatwaves continue to occur at increasingly high rates, there could be severe consequences for human health, ecosystems, and economies. These consequences may include more frequent and severe heat-related illnesses, crop failures, and increased damage from extreme weather events.