Height equation in a weird way.

In summary, the conversation discusses how a hot air balloonist can find his real height using two rocks and their echoes, without knowing the speed of sound or the multiplication factor A. The suggested solution involves using the equation for displacement and neglecting the speed of sound, and ultimately finding the multiplication factor by recording the altimeter heights at two points and dividing by the difference in real heights.
daniels.tyler

Homework Statement

A hot air balloonist forgot to calibrate his altimeter before taking off. The altimeter displays his height as A*h (A being a constant multiplcator, and h is his real height). He does not know A, nor does he know the speed of sound. How can he find his height with just two rocks that he can drop over a canyon and listen for their echoes. Neglect air resistance.

Homework Equations

y=y0+V0T+.5GT^2
G=-9.81

The Attempt at a Solution

I assumed V0 and Y0 is equal to 0.
Dt (difference in time) is equal to T2-T1
I disregarded the speed of sound because it is a constant in both drops.

First drop:
y1=-4.905(T1)^2
Second drop:
y2=-4.905(T2)^2

(Dhr)(difference in real heights) is y2-y1=

-4.905(T2)^2+4.905(T1)^2

If I record the heights the altimeter gives me at the two points, and find the difference and then divide that by my (Dhr), I should get my multiplication factor right? That is assuming the equation for the (Dhr) is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question doesn't ask you to find A so you figured out the problem already

So I my equation for A (the multiplaction factor) is correct? It was right of me to disregard the speed of sound?

FAQ: Height equation in a weird way.

1. How is height calculated in a weird way?

The height equation in a weird way involves taking into account unusual factors such as gravitational pull, time dilation, and quantum mechanics to determine an individual's height.

2. Can the height equation in a weird way be used to accurately predict an individual's height?

While the height equation in a weird way may seem complex and unconventional, it has not been scientifically proven to be a reliable method for predicting an individual's height.

3. What inspired the creation of the height equation in a weird way?

The height equation in a weird way was developed by a group of theoretical physicists who were interested in exploring the potential influence of various scientific theories on human height.

4. Is there a specific formula for the height equation in a weird way?

There is no single formula for the height equation in a weird way, as it is constantly evolving and being refined by the scientific community. However, it typically involves a combination of mathematical equations and theoretical concepts.

5. How does the height equation in a weird way differ from traditional height equations?

The height equation in a weird way takes into account factors that are not typically considered in traditional height equations, such as the effects of space-time curvature and subatomic particles. This makes it a much more complex and unconventional approach to determining height.