Help - Book Recommendation Besides ARFKEN

In summary, the conversation discusses the search for alternative books to the Arfken and Weber book for a mathematical methods for physicists class. Recommendations include the Boas book, Schaum's outline of Vector Analysis, Saff and Snider's Complex Analysis book, and Abramowitz and Stegun's Handbook of Mathematical Functions. Other books mentioned are Mathematical Physics by Kusse and Westwig, Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by Riley, Hobson, and Bence, A Brief on Tensor Analysis by Simmonds, and A Guide to Distribution Theory and Fourier Transforms by Strichartz.
Fjolvar
I'm taking a mathematical methods for physicists class and we're using the Arfken and Weber book which does a horrible job in teaching the subjects, in my opinion. Can anyone recommend other book(s) I can use to learn these topics.. Vectors in Curvilinear Coords, Tensors, Matricies, Infinite series, Complex Variables, Special Functions (Dirac Delta, Gamma, Beta)..

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Boas, Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences

I have a few recommendations:

* cheap way:

Prof. Nearing at University of Miami has a free book that is quite good that just might fit the bill:
http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/"

Otherwise, for vectors in curvilinear coordinates, the Schaum's outline of Vector Analysis is pretty good, and includes a rough intro to tensors.

for complex analysis, get a used copy of an old edition of saff and snider. 2nd edition is $5 at amazon. Covers series, too. Perhaps schaum's outline is useful as well.

Use arfken for delta and special functions - it is fine. Fourier Jr's post links to the classic on complex analysis and special functions, from the point of view of 80 years ago or so. I own a hardcopy of that book and love it, but it is not for learning basics, as Fourier Jr states. The online edition is LEGAL! It is old so I think copyright has expired.

If you want a *reference* for special functions, ":handbook of mathematical functions" by Abramowitz and Stegun is the classic. It is available free online (legally!) if you google. Again I own a hardcopy that is almost worn out.

* other "math physics" books"

Mathematical Physics by Kusse and Westwig is quite good, in my opinion. Covers curvilinear, tensors, complex analysis, and delta functions. Not so good at special functions. Assumes you know the contents of Thomas' Calculus plus basic linear algebra.

Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering by Riley, Hobson and Bence is also a good general reference, that only assumes you know elementary calculus. Not too expensive for what you get.

* other books

For tensors, the best book I know is "a brief on tensor analysis" by Simmonds. Not so cheap.

A good semi-mathematical intro to distribution theory (and hence delta functions) is "a guide to distribution theory and Fourier tranforms" by strichartz. You do NOT need this book, but is just in case you are interested. Gauranteed not to help you in your class. I used this in a course I took, but some co-worker stole it from me so I am missing it!

Good luck,

jason

Last edited by a moderator:
You could try the first edition of Arfken.

the book seems to survey several regular math topics, like vector calculus, complex analysis, and linear algebra, which might be better learned from ordinary math books on those topics. For the more specialized topics like integral equations, Fourier analysis and so on, I would suggest looking at the classic work of hilbert and courant, methods of mathematical physics.

1. What is the best book for learning about mathematical methods in physics?

The most commonly recommended book for this topic is "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George Arfken. However, there are other great options available such as "A Guide to Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by Michio Masujima and "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary Boas.

2. Are there any books that cover advanced topics in mathematical methods for physics?

Yes, there are several books that cover advanced topics in this subject. Some popular choices include "Advanced Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" by Carl Bender and Steven Orszag, "Mathematical Physics: A Modern Introduction to Its Foundations" by Sadri Hassani, and "Mathematical Methods in Physics and Engineering" by John W. Dettman.

3. Is there a book that focuses specifically on numerical methods for physics?

Yes, "Numerical Methods for Physics" by Alejandro L. Garcia is a highly recommended book for learning about numerical methods in physics. Other options include "Computational Physics" by J.M. Thijssen and "Numerical Recipes: The Art of Scientific Computing" by William H. Press et al.

4. What book would you recommend for learning about mathematical methods in quantum mechanics?

"Mathematical Methods in Quantum Mechanics: With Applications to Schrodinger Operators" by Gerald Teschl is a popular choice for this topic. Other options include "Methods of Quantum Field Theory in Statistical Physics" by A.A. Abrikosov et al and "Mathematical Methods for Physicists and Engineers" by Royal Eugene Collins.

5. Are there any books that combine mathematical methods with applications in other scientific fields?

Yes, there are several books that cover mathematical methods and their applications in various scientific fields. Some examples include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Boas, "Mathematical Methods for Scientists and Engineers" by Donald A. McQuarrie, and "Mathematical Methods for Physics and Engineering: A Comprehensive Guide" by K.F. Riley et al.