HELP Collision question with two unknowns

In summary, a 170g ball is dropped from a height of 2.3m, bounces on a hard floor, and rebounds to a height of 1.8m. The impulse received from the floor is represented by a force vs. time graph, with a maximum force of Fmax and an impulse width of 5ms. The floor exerts a maximum force on the ball, which can be calculated by finding the area under the impulse on the graph.
JazzleFazz
A 170g ball is dropped from a height of 2.3m, bounces on a hard floor, and rebounds to a height of 1.8m. The figure shows the impulse received from the floor. What maximum force does the floor exert on the ball?

http://http://session.masteringphysics.com/problemAsset/1013629/6/jfk.Figure.P09.39.jpg

In the force vs. time graph if you can't see it, the change in maximum force is a triangle that reaches up to Fmax with an impulse width of 5ms.

170g=.17kg is one of the only things I know how to do with this one.

I know that the area under the impulse on a force vs. time graph is the impulse, but I don't know how to figure what the answer could possibly be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind! I got it!

1. What is a "HELP Collision question with two unknowns"?

A "HELP Collision question with two unknowns" is a type of physics problem that involves two objects colliding with each other. The goal is to use the given information, such as the masses and velocities of the objects, to calculate the final velocities of the objects after the collision.

2. How do I solve a "HELP Collision question with two unknowns" problem?

To solve a "HELP Collision question with two unknowns" problem, you will need to use the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy. These principles state that the total momentum and total kinetic energy of the objects before and after the collision must be equal.

3. What are the steps to solving a "HELP Collision question with two unknowns" problem?

The steps for solving a "HELP Collision question with two unknowns" problem are as follows:

1. Identify the given information, including the masses and velocities of the objects.
  2. Apply the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy to set up equations.
  3. Solve the equations for the unknown velocities.
  4. Check your solution by plugging in the values for the given information and making sure the equations are balanced.

4. What are some common mistakes when solving a "HELP Collision question with two unknowns" problem?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving a "HELP Collision question with two unknowns" problem include forgetting to use the correct signs for the velocities, not considering the direction of the velocities, and not using the correct units for the values.

5. Is there a specific formula or equation that can be used to solve a "HELP Collision question with two unknowns" problem?

There is no single formula or equation that can be used to solve all "HELP Collision question with two unknowns" problems. However, the principles of conservation of momentum and conservation of kinetic energy can be applied to set up equations that can be solved to find the unknown velocities.