Help deriving a circuit equation

In summary: So in that case V(t+τ) = A+Be^(-t+τ/τ). I put that over the equation you gave me for V(t), but I'm not sure what it represents or what it's equivalent to.
monahanj09

Homework Statement

Question is here

Homework Equations

Shown in the image, but just to restate:

Vc(t) = A+Be^(-t/τ)

n/m=e^-1

OR

p/m=1-e^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I tried to do was solve the Vc(t) equation for e, which comes out to e=(-A/B)^(-τ/t). I'm not even sure if that's relevant, though, or where to take it from there if it is. I'm a little lost on how to proceed with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
monahanj09 said:

Homework Statement

Question is here

Homework Equations

Shown in the image, but just to restate:

Vc(t) = A+Be^(-t/τ)

n/m=e^-1

OR

p/m=1-e^-1

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing I tried to do was solve the Vc(t) equation for e, which comes out to e=(-A/B)^(-τ/t). I'm not even sure if that's relevant, though, or where to take it from there if it is. I'm a little lost on how to proceed with this.

The key is to use the equation for the V(t), and compare V(t) to V(t+τ)...

berkeman said:
The key is to use the equation for the V(t), and compare V(t) to V(t+τ)...

So try setting V(t) equal to V(t+τ), which would be A+Be^(-t/τ)=A+Be^(-t+τ/τ)? That still doesn't relate n, m, and p to each other, though. From looking at the graph, it looks like there's some sort of relationship between m/n/p and A or A+B, but I can't quite tell what it is.

monahanj09 said:
So try setting V(t) equal to V(t+τ), which would be A+Be^(-t/τ)=A+Be^(-t+τ/τ)? That still doesn't relate n, m, and p to each other, though. From looking at the graph, it looks like there's some sort of relationship between m/n/p and A or A+B, but I can't quite tell what it is.

No, don't set them equal because they are not.

The key in the figure (it is small and hard to see on the figure) is that the two vertical lines are a time τ apart...

berkeman said:
No, don't set them equal because they are not.

The key in the figure (it is small and hard to see on the figure) is that the two vertical lines are a time τ apart...

I see that the m line is time τ apart from the n/p line. I also see that m is the difference between A (the maximum possible voltage) at time t and V(t), and that n is the difference between A and V(t+τ), and that p is the difference between m and n. I can't quite tell how to relate them though. Maybe...A+Be^(-t/τ)+m=A+Be^(-t+τ/τ)+n?

EDIT: Wait, no. m=A-(A+Be^(-t/τ)) and n=A-(A+Be^(-t+τ/τ)), but I'm still not sure how to relate them.

Last edited:
monahanj09 said:
I see that the m line is time τ apart from the n/p line. I also see that m is the difference between A (the maximum possible voltage) at time t and V(t), and that n is the difference between A and V(t+τ), and that p is the difference between m and n. I can't quite tell how to relate them though. Maybe...A+Be^(-t/τ)+m=A+Be^(-t+τ/τ)+n?

EDIT: Wait, no. m=A-(A+Be^(-t/τ)) and n=A-(A+Be^(-t+τ/τ)), but I'm still not sure how to relate them.

Now that I look closer at the diagram, it is pretty confusing. It's like they drew it upside down, with A+B at the bottom, and A at the top of the vertical axis. Weird.

Try this as a first way to prove the ratios, and then you can see if you can prove it for this upside down version.

Flip the drawing about its middle horizontal axis, so A is at the bottom, and A+B is at the top. Now set A=0, so the waveform starts with initial value B and decays exponentially to zero. Now since A=0, the equation for the waveform becomes V(t) = B e^-t/τ

Now take the ratio of V(t+τ) / V(t), and see what you get...EDIT -- I fixed the V(t) equation -- I had left out the minus sign in the exponent.

berkeman said:
Now that I look closer at the diagram, it is pretty confusing. It's like they drew it upside down, with A+B at the bottom, and A at the top of the vertical axis. Weird.

Try this as a first way to prove the ratios, and then you can see if you can prove it for this upside down version.

Flip the drawing about its middle horizontal axis, so A is at the bottom, and A+B is at the top. Now set A=0, so the waveform starts with initial value B and decays exponentially to zero. Now since A=0, the equation for the waveform becomes V(t) = B e^-t/τ

Now take the ratio of V(t+τ) / V(t), and see what you get...

EDIT -- I fixed the V(t) equation -- I had left out the minus sign in the exponent.

So in that case V(t+τ) = A+Be^(-t+τ/τ). I put that over the equation you gave me for V(t), but I'm not sure what it represents or what it's equivalent to. I assume it's equivalent to one of the ratios it shows in the problem statement, I just can't tell which or how to prove it.

monahanj09 said:
So in that case V(t+τ) = A+Be^(-t+τ/τ). I put that over the equation you gave me for V(t), but I'm not sure what it represents or what it's equivalent to. I assume it's equivalent to one of the ratios it shows in the problem statement, I just can't tell which or how to prove it.

Did you miss where I said to set A=0?

berkeman said:
Did you miss where I said to set A=0?

I think that example confused me.

But I understand what's going on now a little bit better.

I think n=V(t+τ)=A+Be^(-t+τ/τ) and m=A+Be^(-t/τ), and that setting them over each other and reducing that should come out to e^-1. But it comes out to e, not e^-1. m/n does come out to e^-1 though, so I think I'm just missing one last component of the problem.

EDIT: I also played around with the flipped graph a little more, and I get e instead of e^-1 for that one as well. I can't figure out why that is or what I should do to fix it.

Last edited:

1. How do I derive a circuit equation?

To derive a circuit equation, you need to first draw a circuit diagram and label all the components. Then, use Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law to write equations for each loop and node in the circuit. Finally, solve the equations simultaneously to obtain the circuit equation.

2. What are Kirchhoff's laws?

Kirchhoff's laws are two principles that govern the behavior of circuits. The first law, also known as Kirchhoff's current law, states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving that node. The second law, known as Kirchhoff's voltage law, states that the sum of voltages around a closed loop in a circuit must equal zero.

3. How does Ohm's law apply to circuit equations?

Ohm's law states that the voltage across a resistor is equal to the product of its resistance and the current flowing through it. This relationship can be used in circuit equations to relate the voltage and current values of resistors in a circuit.

4. Can I use circuit equations to analyze any type of circuit?

Yes, circuit equations can be used to analyze any type of circuit, including series circuits, parallel circuits, and more complex circuits with multiple loops and nodes. However, the process of deriving the equations may vary depending on the type of circuit.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for deriving circuit equations?

There are some techniques that can make deriving circuit equations easier, such as using Thevenin's theorem or Norton's theorem to simplify complex circuits. However, a thorough understanding of Kirchhoff's laws and Ohm's law is necessary for accurately deriving circuit equations.