Help finding instantaneous velocity graphically

In summary, the graph of position versus time for a particle moving along the x-axis shows straight-line segments at the given instants. The instantaneous velocity at t = 1.00 s is 5 m/s and at t = 4.50 s is 0 m/s. To find the instantaneous velocity at t = 3.00 s and t = 7.50 s, use the slope of the whole line segment, which is equal to the instantaneous velocity.
murrayk91
A graph of position versus time for a certain particle moving along the x-axis is shown in the figure below. Find the instantaneous velocity at the following instants.
Untitled22.jpg

(a) t = 1.00 s

(b) t = 3.00 s

(c) t = 4.50 s

(d) t = 7.50 s

I know that a) is 5 m/s and c) is 0 m/s, but I need help figuring out b) and d). I don't understand how to draw the tangent line to find the instantaneous velocity.

For 3.00 s the answers I've come up with are wrong. I though using the slope of two points on the line, (7-10)/(3-2) should give me the answer. Any help?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
murrayk91 said:
A graph of position versus time for a certain particle moving along the x-axis is shown in the figure below. Find the instantaneous velocity at the following instants.
Untitled22.jpg

(a) t = 1.00 s

(b) t = 3.00 s

(c) t = 4.50 s

(d) t = 7.50 s

I know that a) is 5 m/s and c) is 0 m/s, but I need help figuring out b) and d). I don't understand how to draw the tangent line to find the instantaneous velocity.

For 3.00 s the answers I've come up with are wrong. I though using the slope of two points on the line, (7-10)/(3-2) should give me the answer. Any help?
Since each of those times corresponds to a position at which the graph is a straight-line segment, and not where two segments meet, the slope of the tangent line is equal to the slope of the line segment.

You have the right idea with (7-10)/(3-2), it's just that the position at t = 3 s, is a bit in excess of 7 m. Use the whole segment from t = 2s to t = 4 s.

When the average velocity doesn't change over a certain period of time, the instantaneous velocity is going to be the same.

It's like trying to find the average grade of five students who all got a 95 on the test

Thanks so much! I didn't realize I should take the slope of the whole line. I worked them out and they're correct.

Good!

If you use the slope you got and go back to find what x is at t=3s, I think you'll find that x = 7.5m. It's hard to read the graph that accurately.

Related to Help finding instantaneous velocity graphically

1. What is instantaneous velocity?

Instantaneous velocity is the velocity of an object at a specific point in time. It is the rate of change of an object's position at that particular moment.

2. How can I find instantaneous velocity graphically?

To find instantaneous velocity graphically, you can plot a position-time graph and calculate the slope of the tangent line at a specific point on the graph. The slope of the tangent line represents the instantaneous velocity at that point.

3. What is the difference between average velocity and instantaneous velocity?

Average velocity is the total displacement of an object divided by the total time taken, while instantaneous velocity is the velocity at a specific point in time. Average velocity gives an overall picture of an object's motion, while instantaneous velocity provides a more detailed and precise measurement at a specific moment.

4. Can instantaneous velocity be negative?

Yes, instantaneous velocity can be negative if the object is moving in the negative direction. This means that the object's position is decreasing with respect to time.

5. How is instantaneous velocity related to acceleration?

Instantaneous velocity and acceleration are related because acceleration is the rate of change of velocity. Therefore, the instantaneous velocity at any given point is the value of acceleration at that point.