Help finding some info about the movement of the observable universe

In summary, the episode discusses the theory of dark flow, which is still speculation at best. The series "Through the Wormhole" starring Morgan Freeman and the episode "Is there an edge to the universe?" discuss the concept.
Harley Cabral
Hello all!

Recently I watched a TV Series episode, but I didn't catch it from the beginning and I need some help to find which one was it, or any clue about it.

The part that I want is about the Scientist guy explaining that things on the observable universe (big picture) seems to be moving all to the same side, and used an analogy with some stationary balls all together in a greenfield, and what happens when you hit them w/ another ball is that all of them will spread uniformly

BUT, what happens when those balls are stationary in a descent ground and another ball hits them, all of those balls will spread up, and after a while they will move all to the same side (to the descent direction)

Anyone saw this episode?
Which one was it ? (series / season / episode)

Any clue on the name of the Scientist, the Theory name or where I can find more about it will help

Thanks in advance for the help http://www.thephysicsforum.com/images/smilies/wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what this is referring to..
The observable Universe is a sphere centered on the observer.
That sphere is expanding over time, and it's expanding evenly, not in some preferred direction.
(which would of course lead to a non-spherical observable universe, and there is nothing I know of which suggests this is the case.)
On the largest of scales the Universe looks much the same whichever direction we look in.

Last edited:
Sorry my bad explanation on the original post.
I meant "things on the observable universe" seems to be moving on the same direction.
Im not trying to state this sentence. It was said by a scientist (help me find his name) who came with this observation after several years tracking the big picture of galaxies and clusters of galaxies w/ radio telescope .
I mean, it was said on a tv show and I'm really interested on this idea, just want to learn more about this hypothesis ;)
any info about this theme will be welcome ;)

tks again

Unless there's another similar one out there...

The series is called 'Through the Wormhole', with Morgan Freeman.
The episode is called 'Is there an edge to the universe?'.
The scientists is Alexander Kashlinsky.
The concept discussed is called 'dark flow'.A note is worthwhile here: dark flow remains highly speculative, at best. You see, data from satellites probing the early universe (the main ones being NASA's WMAP and ESA's PLANCK) is still very fresh, messy, and hard to analyse. Some people see in it stuff (structures, patterns) that other people don't. It's been the fate of many such recent 'discoveries' to be shown as statistical artefacts, or plain errors.

You may want to search the forum for the keywords, but you'll notice that most threads are at least a couple years old - that's because with the new data coming in from the PLANCK satellite, and a number of papers refuting the claims since they were made, the idea got largely abandoned in the scientific community.
Kashlinsky still sticks to his guns, though, but that's only to be expected.

Neat!
Thank you very much my friend, you saved the day! :)

I will read it all, and thanks lots for your thoughts/tips ;)

The video posted by Bandersnatch is the correct one, but it seems to be cutted

here is another one, and starting at the time I wanted to learn about (in case anyone else wants too)
at: 23:07

and thanks again for the help ;)

1. What is the observable universe?

The observable universe refers to the portion of the universe that we can see from Earth. This includes all of the matter and light that has had enough time to reach us since the beginning of the universe.

2. How is the movement of the observable universe measured?

The movement of the observable universe is measured through a combination of methods, including observations of galaxies and their redshift, measurements of the cosmic microwave background radiation, and calculations based on the expansion of the universe.

3. What is the current understanding of the movement of the observable universe?

Currently, scientists believe that the observable universe is expanding at an accelerating rate. This expansion is driven by dark energy, a mysterious force that makes up about 70% of the universe's total energy.

4. Are there any theories or models that explain the movement of the observable universe?

There are several theories and models that attempt to explain the movement of the observable universe. The most widely accepted is the Lambda-CDM model, which combines the concepts of dark energy and dark matter to explain the expansion and structure of the universe.

5. How does the movement of the observable universe impact our understanding of the universe?

The movement of the observable universe is a key factor in understanding the history and future of the universe. It has helped scientists develop the Big Bang theory and explore the concept of cosmic inflation. It also has implications for the fate of our universe and the potential for other universes beyond our own.