Help finding the magnitude of the applied force

In summary, a 50 kg block on a frictionless inclined plane with a 20° angle from horizontal is accelerated at 4 m/s2 by a force F. Using the known mass and acceleration, we can find that the force F is equal to 200 N. To determine the force in the x-direction, we multiply 200 N by the cosine of 20°, resulting in 187.9 N. However, there is also mention of a force of 167 N and it is unclear where this comes from. The attempt at a solution also asks why we multiply 200 N by cosine of 20°, and whether placing an object on a frictionless inclined plane will cause it to move in a specific direction.
ssh222

Homework Statement

A block of mass 50 kg is free to slide on a frictionless inclined plane that makes an angle of 20° with respect to horizontal. A force F is applied as shown in the drawing pulling parallel to the incline. As a result, the block accelerates up the plane at 4 m/s2.

known:
m= 50 kg
a= 4 m/s^2
Angle = 20 degrees

Homework Equations

F=ma
Fcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

F= 50kg* 4m/s2 = 200 N
200cos(20)=187.9= F x-direction

* The explanation shows me F- 167 N = 200N
F=367N
But I don't know which equation this comes from or where the 167 comes from.

Physics news on Phys.org
3. The Attempt at a Solution
F= 50kg* 4m/s2 = 200 N
What force is this?

This was my attempt at finding the applied force..

Can you tell me why you multiply 200 with Cos(20)?

If you just put an object on frictionless inclined plane, in which direction the object moves?. What makes it move in that direction?

Last edited:

I would first commend the student for attempting to solve the problem and using the correct equations. However, I would point out that the value of 167 N in the explanation is incorrect. The correct value for the applied force F is indeed 200 N, as calculated correctly by the student.

The confusion may arise from the use of the cosine function in the equation Fcos(theta). This equation is used to find the component of the force in the direction of the incline, not the total force. In this case, the component of the force in the x-direction is equal to the total force, since the incline is at an angle of 20 degrees with respect to the horizontal. Therefore, the correct equation to use is F=ma, where F is the total force and m is the mass of the block.

As for the 167 N mentioned in the explanation, it is not clear where this value comes from. It is possible that it was a mistake or a typo. As a scientist, it is important to double check all calculations and make sure they are accurate. In this case, the correct value of 200 N was calculated, and there is no need for further explanation or equations.

Related to Help finding the magnitude of the applied force

1. What is meant by the "magnitude" of an applied force?

The magnitude of an applied force refers to the size or strength of the force being exerted. It is typically measured in units of Newtons (N) or pounds (lbs).

2. How do I calculate the magnitude of an applied force?

To calculate the magnitude of an applied force, you will need to know the direction and amount of the force being applied. You can then use the formula F = ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration caused by the force.

3. Can the magnitude of an applied force be negative?

Yes, the magnitude of an applied force can be negative. This indicates that the force is acting in the opposite direction of the chosen coordinate system. However, when calculating the magnitude, the negative sign is typically ignored.

4. How does the magnitude of an applied force affect the motion of an object?

The magnitude of an applied force is directly proportional to the acceleration of an object. This means that a larger magnitude of force will result in a greater acceleration, and therefore a greater change in motion for the object.

5. Are there any tools or devices that can measure the magnitude of an applied force?

Yes, there are various tools and devices that can measure the magnitude of an applied force, including force gauges, dynamometers, and strain gauges. These tools typically use mechanical or electrical methods to measure the force being applied.