Help finding value of Contour Integral

In summary, to evaluate the given integral, the substitution method of contour integration can be used. The poles of the resulting function must be determined, which is dependent on the values of a and b. The use of the Residue Theorem can then be applied to find the value of the integral.
jtleafs33

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{d\theta}{(A+Bcos(\theta))^2}[/itex]
[itex]a^2>b^2[/itex]
[itex]a>0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I convert this to contour integration along a full sphere in the complex plane.
I let:

[itex]z=e^(i\theta)[/itex]
[itex]dz=ie^(i\theta)[/itex]
[itex]d\theta=-idz/z[/itex]
[itex]cos(\theta)=(z+z^-1)/2[/itex]

Now, substituting back into the integral, I drop the integral sign for now and just work on the integrand:

=[itex]\frac{-idz}{z(a+\frac{bz+bz^-1}{2})}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{-idz}{z(\frac{2a+bz+bz^-1}{2})}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{-4idz}{z(2a+bz+bz^-1)^2}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{-4idz}{b^2z^3+4abz^2+4a^2z+2b^2z+4ab+\frac{b^2}{z}}[/itex]

And from here I am stuck on how to find the poles of this function. I want to use the residue theorem to evaluate this integral, but like I said I'm stuck here.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
jtleafs33 said:

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral:

[itex]\int[/itex][itex]^{2\pi}_{0}[/itex][itex]\frac{d\theta}{(A+Bcos(\theta))^2}[/itex]
[itex]a^2>b^2[/itex]
[itex]a>0[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First, I convert this to contour integration along a full sphere in the complex plane.
I let:

[itex]z=e^(i\theta)[/itex]
[itex]dz=ie^(i\theta)[/itex]
[itex]d\theta=-idz/z[/itex]
[itex]cos(\theta)=(z+z^-1)/2[/itex]

Now, substituting back into the integral, I drop the integral sign for now and just work on the integrand:

=[itex]\frac{-idz}{z(a+\frac{bz+bz^-1}{2})}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{-idz}{z(\frac{2a+bz+bz^-1}{2})}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{-4idz}{z(2a+bz+bz^-1)^2}[/itex]

=[itex]\frac{-4idz}{b^2z^3+4abz^2+4a^2z+2b^2z+4ab+\frac{b^2}{z}}[/itex]And from here I am stuck on how to find the poles of this function. I want to use the residue theorem to evaluate this integral, but like I said I'm stuck here.

You have to methodically consider all possibilities. I can think of three:

a>0, b>0 and a>b
a>0, b=0
a>0, b<0 and a^2>b^2

Ok, how about the first case. Just for starters, we'll let a=2 and b=1. When you make the subsittutions, you should get:

[tex]-4i\oint \frac{z dz}{\left(2az+b(z^2+1)\right)^2}[/tex]

so the poles are when [itex]2az+b(z^2+1)=0[/itex]. You can do that. Now, just for starters, let a=2 and b=1 and compute the poles for that particular function. Are they both in the unit circle? Check them. What's causing the poles to move in and out of the unit circle? Well, the particular values of a and b by virtue of the expression you get for the zeros of that quadratic expression right? So then those values will in turn determine the value of the integral by means of the Residue Theorem.

Just get a=2 and b=1 working. Analyze that expression for the zeros above based on the particular values of a and b. Get that one, then do the third one. The second just degrades to 2pi/a^2 right?

Last edited:

1. What is a contour integral?

A contour integral is an integral along a curve in the complex plane. It is used to calculate the area under a curve in the complex plane, similar to how regular integrals are used to calculate the area under a curve in the real plane.

2. How is a contour integral calculated?

A contour integral is calculated by breaking the curve into small segments and approximating the area under each segment. This is done by choosing a point on the curve, known as a sample point, and multiplying it by the length of the segment. The sum of all these approximations gives the value of the contour integral.

3. What is the significance of contour integrals in mathematics?

Contour integrals have many applications in mathematics, including solving differential equations, calculating complex numbers, and evaluating complex functions. They are also used in physics and engineering to model systems with complex variables.

4. How do you find the value of a contour integral?

To find the value of a contour integral, you first need to parameterize the curve into a function of a single variable. Then, you can use the formula for a contour integral, which involves integrating the function along the curve and multiplying it by the differential of the variable. Finally, you can solve the resulting integral to find the value of the contour integral.

5. Are there any techniques for simplifying the calculation of contour integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques for simplifying the calculation of contour integrals. These include using the Cauchy integral theorem, which allows for the integration of complex functions without having to explicitly parameterize the curve, and using the residue theorem, which simplifies the integration of functions with poles. Other techniques include using symmetry and the method of partial fractions to simplify the integrand before integration.