1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help! Freefalling object problem!

1. Aug 29, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A certain freely falling object requires 1.60 s to travel the last 23.5 m before it hits the ground. From what height above the ground did it fall?

2. Relevant equations
    This is my last question on my online homework. Help! I have gotten answers, but the computer says they wrong.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know I have to set up two different equations, one for the last 23.5 m and one from the point that it fell at to the last 23.5m. I know the initial Velocity of the object is 0, and the final velocity of the initial drop is the initial velocity of the last 23.5m. Please help! I have tried it numerous times. My hw is due in 4 hours.... Thanks :)

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2008 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You know the equations for a faling object.
    v = u + gt
    s = ut + 1/2 gt^2
    v^2 = u^2 + 2gs

(s=distance, u=initial velocity, v=final velocity)
    So you can work out the initial velocity ofthe last stage, and then use that as the final velocity of the first stage.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?