Help Freefalling object problem

• Thread starter akbro93704
  • Start date
In summary, the problem involves a freely falling object that takes 1.60 seconds to travel the last 23.5 meters before hitting the ground. The task is to determine the initial height of the object above the ground. Using the equations for a falling object, it is possible to calculate the initial velocity of the last stage and then use it as the final velocity of the first stage to solve the problem.
akbro93704

Homework Statement

A certain freely falling object requires 1.60 s to travel the last 23.5 m before it hits the ground. From what height above the ground did it fall?

Homework Equations

This is my last question on my online homework. Help! I have gotten answers, but the computer says they wrong.

The Attempt at a Solution

I know I have to set up two different equations, one for the last 23.5 m and one from the point that it fell at to the last 23.5m. I know the initial Velocity of the object is 0, and the final velocity of the initial drop is the initial velocity of the last 23.5m. Please help! I have tried it numerous times. My homework is due in 4 hours... Thanks :)

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the equations for a faling object.
v = u + gt
s = ut + 1/2 gt^2
v^2 = u^2 + 2gs

(s=distance, u=initial velocity, v=final velocity)
So you can work out the initial velocity ofthe last stage, and then use that as the final velocity of the first stage.

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with setting up two equations for the freefalling object problem. The first equation should be for the last 23.5 m and the second equation should be for the entire distance the object fell.

The first equation should be in the form of d = 0.5 * a * t^2, where d is the distance (23.5 m), a is the acceleration due to gravity (-9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time (1.60 s).

The second equation should be in the form of d = h + 0.5 * a * t^2, where d is the total distance the object fell, h is the initial height, a is again the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the total time the object took to fall.

To solve for the initial height, you can set these two equations equal to each other and solve for h. This will give you the height from which the object fell.

I hope this helps and good luck with your homework! Remember to always double check your equations and units to make sure they are correct. If you are still having trouble, don't hesitate to ask your teacher or a classmate for help.

1. What is the freefalling object problem?

The freefalling object problem is a physics problem that involves calculating the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity without any external forces acting on it.

2. How do you solve the freefalling object problem?

The freefalling object problem can be solved using the equations of motion, which include the object's initial velocity, acceleration due to gravity, and time. There are also specific equations for calculating the distance, velocity, and time at any given point during the object's fall.

3. What are the assumptions made when solving the freefalling object problem?

When solving the freefalling object problem, it is assumed that there is no air resistance, the acceleration due to gravity remains constant, and the object starts at rest. These assumptions allow for simplified calculations and a more accurate solution.

4. How does an object's mass affect its freefalling motion?

An object's mass does not affect its freefalling motion. In a vacuum, all objects, regardless of their mass, will fall at the same rate due to gravity. This is known as the principle of equivalence and was first demonstrated by Galileo.

5. Can the freefalling object problem be applied to real-life scenarios?

Yes, the freefalling object problem can be applied to real-life scenarios, such as objects falling from a height, skydiving, or even the motion of planets and satellites in space. However, in real-life situations, other factors such as air resistance and external forces may also need to be considered.