Help - (Ideal gas temp problem)

• Thread starter Nenad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas
In summary, the problem involves a rigid, constant volume box containing a monoatomic ideal gas that is initially at 20 degrees Celsius and 200kPa. A 100-watt electric heater is used to heat the gas, resulting in a pressure increase to 300kPa after 10 minutes. The task is to calculate the volume of the box in cubic meters. The ideal gas law and unit conversion were both attempted without success. However, a formula relating internal energy to temperature (U = 3/2 N k_B T) was suggested as a hint, with variables representing internal energy, total number of atoms/molecules, temperature, and the Boltzmann constant. The conversation ends with the mention of a potential easier method according
Nenad
Help! - (Ideal gas temp problem)

Im having a problem with this question, on my chem assignement. Here it is:

Q: A rigid, constant volume box contains a monoatomic ideal gas initially at 20 degrees Celsius and at 200kPa. The box is completely insulated. A 100-watt electric heater is used to heat the gas in the box. After 10 minutes of heating the pressure in the box rises to 300kPa. Calculate the volume of the box, in cubic meters.

Is it A)0.24 B)0.40 C)0.67 D)1.00 E)1.50

Ive tried using the ideal gas law [tex] PV = nRT [/tex], and solving for [tex] T_2 [/tex]. But this gets me nowere, I just am left with a ratio of volumes and in the end I get [tex] V_1 = v_2 [/tex]. I have also tried using unit conversion and seeing how many Joules were placed in the box by heationg it, but I get an answer for volume of [tex] 0.2m^3 [/tex].
If somebody could give me a hint on what to do, that would be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have a formula relating the internal energy of an ideal gas to its temperature?

nope, but I would shure like to know one. Any hints?

Sure. How about this one?
[tex]U = \frac {3}{2}N k_B T[/tex]

what do the variables stand for?

U is the internal energy.
N is the total number of atoms/molecules.
T is temperature.
[itex]k_B[/itex] is the Boltzmann constant.

my prof told me there is an easier way to do it than this.

1. How do I calculate the temperature of an ideal gas?

The temperature of an ideal gas can be calculated using the ideal gas law: PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the ideal gas law at all temperatures and pressures. It has no intermolecular forces and occupies no volume compared to the total volume of the container it is in.

3. How does temperature affect an ideal gas?

According to the ideal gas law, temperature is directly proportional to the pressure and volume of an ideal gas. This means that as temperature increases, the pressure and volume of the gas also increase.

4. What is the ideal gas law constant?

The ideal gas law constant, R, is a proportionality constant that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. Its value depends on the units used and can be calculated as R = 8.314 J/mol·K or R = 0.0821 L·atm/mol·K.

5. Can the ideal gas law be used for any gas?

No, the ideal gas law is only accurate for gases that behave ideally, meaning they have no intermolecular forces and occupy negligible volume. Real gases deviate from ideal behavior at high pressures and low temperatures.