Help in Homework -- difference b/w kinematics friction and static friction?

In summary, the difference between static friction and kinetic friction is that static friction occurs between non-moving surfaces, while kinetic friction occurs between moving surfaces. Rolling friction is a type of kinetic friction that occurs when a rope or tire is moving over a surface. It is also possible for friction to be constant, but in reality, it can vary depending on factors such as normal force and relative speed of the surfaces.
*.*.*AnUm*.*.*
Hi,

Please explain what is the difference b/w kinematics friction and static friction ?

Please explain, what is rolling friction ?
Is it when we are pulling a weight with rope, and rope is rolling on a wheel ?
for example in past days, people used rope to get water from well.

Please explain it.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
*.*.*AnUm*.*.* said:
Hi,

Please explain what is the difference b/w kinematics friction and static friction ?

Please explain, what is rolling friction ?

Please explain it.

Thanks.

What do you think the difference is between static friction and dynamic friction? What do you find when you use Wikipedia or Google?

Likes *.*.*AnUm*.*.*
I think static friction when any force causes friction
dynamic friction when a body is moving, right ?

*.*.*AnUm*.*.* said:
dynamic friction when a body is moving, right ?

Yes. When the object is sliding, that is dynamic friction. When it hasn't broken loose yet to start sliding, that is static friction.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction

:smile:

Likes *.*.*AnUm*.*.*

In other words,

• static friction between non-moving surfaces, and kinetic friction between moving surfaces, right ?

Is this explanation correct:

"Please explain, what is rolling friction ?
"

*.*.*AnUm*.*.* said:
In other words,

• static friction between non-moving surfaces, and kinetic friction between moving surfaces, right ?

Yep!

Likes *.*.*AnUm*.*.*
*.*.*AnUm*.*.* said:
Is this explanation correct:

"Please explain, what is rolling friction ?
"

I think of rolling friction more like between a tire and the road. But I suppose it would also apply to a rope over a pulley too.

Likes *.*.*AnUm*.*.*
Okey, thanks :)

And I think friction shouldn't be constant, is it correct ?

*.*.*AnUm*.*.* said:
Static friction can never be less than kinetic friction, but I know of no rule that says it has to be more.
In reality, friction is rather more complicated than is taught in school. But generally you are safe to say that each of the two coefficients of friction of a given combination of surfaces is constant, not varying according to normal force nor, in the case of kinetic friction, according to relative speed of the two surfaces.

*.*.*AnUm*.*.* said:

The wikipedia article that I linked to earlier in this thread answers that question. :smile:

What is the difference between kinematics friction and static friction?

Kinematic friction is the force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact and moving relative to each other. Static friction, on the other hand, is the force that keeps two surfaces from moving against each other when there is no motion present.

How does kinematic friction affect an object's movement?

Kinematic friction acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion, causing it to slow down or stop. It is present in all objects that are in motion, and the amount of friction experienced depends on the materials and surfaces in contact.

What factors affect the strength of static friction?

The strength of static friction is affected by the roughness of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the force applied to the object. The rougher the surfaces, the higher the static friction force needed to keep the object from moving. Similarly, the heavier the object, the stronger the static friction force required.

How is the coefficient of friction related to kinematic friction and static friction?

The coefficient of friction is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces. It is used to calculate both kinematic and static friction forces. The higher the coefficient of friction, the stronger the friction force.

Can kinematic and static friction act at the same time?

Yes, kinematic and static friction can act simultaneously on an object. For example, when a car is moving, both kinematic friction and static friction are present. Kinematic friction acts in the opposite direction of the car's motion, while static friction keeps the tires from slipping on the road.