Help learning Signal Processing/Communication Systems

In summary, the person wants to learn signal processing and communication systems so they can become more intuitive and understand the material. They struggled through most of their college education and believe that Math intensive material would be a difficult start. They found some help by using a website and a book with exercises. They hope to continue learning and build intuition in the domain.
franceB
Hello,

I have a background in Electrical Engineering (bachelors (2006) and masters (2008)).
I am currently working in IT but I don't like it and would very much like to get into engineering.

When I was in school I really enjoyed my signal processing and communications systems classes. Despite the fact that I enjoyed the material and found it very interesting and awe-inspiring, it was never intuitive to me and I found it very difficult to understand.

In fact I struggled through most of my college education. I had brief moments of mental breakthroughs when I was studying but I usually lost the understanding that I gained and found myself having to continually go back and review the basic material pretty much all the time. I had good grades while at school but I won't describe myself as the typical engineering “geek” or “nerd” - I would describe myself as trying to stay afloat most of the time.

Right now I want to do some independent study and try to teach myself signal processing and communication systems. Do you have any recommendations on where to start (books etc...). From my own experience I am not good starting with math intensive material. I know that signal processing and communication systems is math intensive though and I am willing to do what is necessary to become comfortable working in the domain.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think to build some intuition in the relm of signal processing i would recommend getting a copy of simulink and learning to use that. You can set up simulation of signal processing systems and learn a lot from doing that.

Thanks for the reply.
Do you know of any good books/websites/workbooks that have exercises that I can work through using simulink?

Here is a website that has some simulink tutorials that pertain to communications systems http://www.csun.edu/~skatz/ece561/561hmk.html. They are labeled MATLAB tutorial but there mostly simulink. The have some labs that are easy to work through with the solutions posted. I don't know many books but I think the simulink user manual is pretty decent.

good luck

1. What is Signal Processing?

Signal Processing is the mathematical manipulation of signals in order to extract useful information or perform specific tasks. It involves techniques for analyzing, modifying, and synthesizing signals, which can be in the form of audio, video, or any other type of data.

2. How is Signal Processing used in Communication Systems?

Signal Processing plays a crucial role in Communication Systems by providing methods for encoding, decoding, and transmitting signals over a variety of mediums. It also helps in improving the quality of communication signals by reducing noise and interference.

3. What are some common applications of Signal Processing in Communication Systems?

Some common applications of Signal Processing in Communication Systems include voice and image compression, error correction, channel equalization, and modulation techniques.

4. What are the basic steps involved in Signal Processing?

The basic steps involved in Signal Processing include signal acquisition, pre-processing, feature extraction, feature selection, signal modeling, and analysis or classification. These steps may vary depending on the specific application and goals.

5. What are some useful tools and resources for learning Signal Processing?

Some useful tools and resources for learning Signal Processing include online courses, textbooks, research papers, and software packages such as MATLAB or Python. Collaborating with experienced professionals and attending workshops or conferences can also be beneficial.