Integrating Double Integral using Substitution and Integration by Parts

• Thread starter Kuma
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation is about a difficult double integral problem involving the use of integration by parts and substitution. The person has set up the integration by parts and substitution but is stuck on finding the correct answer. They are also unsure if the reverse chain rule applies in this case. The suggestion is made to post the entire problem for better understanding.
Kuma

Homework Statement

Okay this is part of a much bigger double integral, but I have hit a roadblock here.

[tex]\int[/tex]x1/u (top), 0 (bottom). (1-(x1/u))^a2 -1 ((x1/u) - x1)^a3 - 1

Homework Equations

integration by parts/substitution?

The Attempt at a Solution

so first i set up an integration by parts here with
du = (1-(x1/u))^a2 -1

and

v = ((x1/u) - x1)^a3 - 1

i found out dv and to find out u i had to integrate that first part. So now I am stuck because this is a reverse chain rule i believe, so i set up a substitution with t = 1-(x1/u) and found out dt = x1/u^2 du. However i keep getting the wrong answer, any help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Kuma said:

Homework Statement

Okay this is part of a much bigger double integral, but I have hit a roadblock here.

[tex]\int[/tex]x1/u (top), 0 (bottom). (1-(x1/u))^a2 -1 ((x1/u) - x1)^a3 - 1

Homework Equations

integration by parts/substitution?

The Attempt at a Solution

so first i set up an integration by parts here with
du = (1-(x1/u))^a2 -1

and

v = ((x1/u) - x1)^a3 - 1

i found out dv and to find out u i had to integrate that first part. So now I am stuck because this is a reverse chain rule i believe, so i set up a substitution with t = 1-(x1/u) and found out dt = x1/u^2 du. However i keep getting the wrong answer, any help?
Maybe post the whole integration problem so we could see how you got to this point?
:smile:

Yes, I think it would help to see the rest of the problem. If you were integrating over x1 you could express the result in terms of an incomplete beta function. However from reading your comments, the integral seems to be over u, which makes it more complicated.

1. What is integration in science?

Integration in science is the process of combining different pieces of information or data to create a more complete and comprehensive understanding of a phenomenon or system. It involves synthesizing and connecting various ideas, concepts, and data from different sources to form a cohesive and unified understanding.

2. Why is integration important in scientific research?

Integration is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to make connections and see patterns that may not be apparent when looking at individual pieces of information. It also helps to build a more comprehensive understanding of complex systems and phenomena, leading to more accurate and reliable results.

3. What are some common methods of integration in science?

Some common methods of integration in science include data integration, where different sets of data are combined and analyzed to form a more complete picture, and interdisciplinary collaboration, where experts from different fields work together to integrate their knowledge and expertise.

4. What are the benefits of using integration in scientific research?

The benefits of using integration in scientific research include a more comprehensive understanding of complex systems and phenomena, improved accuracy and reliability of results, and the potential for new discoveries and insights that may not have been possible without integration.

5. Are there any challenges to integrating information in science?

Yes, there can be challenges to integrating information in science, such as differences in terminology and methodologies between different fields, and the need for specialized knowledge and skills to effectively integrate data and ideas from different sources. Additionally, there may be limitations in available data or resources that can make integration more difficult.